Normal Recovery?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sammyp
Contributor

Normal Recovery?

Postby sammyp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi all. I am 7 weeks post treatment with a Vanco taper/pulse. My doc says this is good progress. I'm out of what he calls the critical period (the first two weeks following treatment) and am halfway through what I'm calling the Period of Uncertainty (the three months after finishing treatment).

That being said, things just aren't the same as they were before. I know this is common but it makes me worry that CDiff is still lingering and could come raging back at any moment. I have a BM every morning, usually after some cramping and it's always solid. Sometimes I have a second one a short time later that is less solid than the first but not what I'd consider D. My stomach often still hurts, especially the upper GI area and usually following the second mushy BM. My appetite is still not what it was and some days it's a struggle to eat. I still find myself eating bland most of the time, scared to venture out too much since my stomach is so iffy. Still easily fatigued and tired but this could be diet related. One day I feel 80% and the next I'll feel 20%. Sometimes I'll go 3-4 days in a row feeling pretty good then out of nowhere I'll have a bad day or two again (usually not D, but sometimes it is. Mostly stomach pain, low energy, churning nauseous feeling in my gut, stuff like that).

Does this sound like normal recovery 7 weeks post meds? I feel like things should be improving more consistently than this. It's really hard to make plans (still haven't reenrolled in college due to the uncertainty of relapse and bad days in general) or travel. Do others experience a pattern like this? Should I worry the CDiff isn't really gone? I do think it's often overtreated so I don't want to test unless there's a strong possibility it's still lingering. Any guidance would be helpful.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Normal Recovery?

Postby NanciT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like you are doing well and on your way to recovery. The process does vary from person to person, some get through this quicker than other's and I have no idea why. All that you describe is typical, soon the good days out weigh the bad, slowly increase the diet and give it time.

Recovery can be stressful because you may have several days you feel well...and then a day of set back. It is difficult to make plans but it will get better, the gut needs time to heal.

Give yourself the time, sounds like you are doing all the right things!

NanciT

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: Normal Recovery?

Postby Ajs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Your symptoms are very similar to mine. I’m nearing 7 weeks post FMT. I still have lots of ups and downs, but I am steadily improving. It is scary though. Sometimes I think I overdo it on my good days, which make my bad days even worse. I have noticed that my bad days usually don’t last quite as long. Maybe only a couple days. Hang in there! Vancomycin itself can do a number on your gut. I honestly think most of my recovery symptoms are more from the meds than the cdiff.
Hopefully you’ll soon experience fewer and fewer bad days!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”