6 weeks since FMT

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ajs
Regular Contributor

6 weeks since FMT

Postby Ajs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello all, I am now 6 weeks out from my FMT and just wanted to give a quick update and also have a question. I’ve been doing really well for the most part. Formed trips to the bathroom (other than a bad day here and there). Some days I feel pretty good! Still nowhere close to how I felt before cdiff. On a great day I may feel 85 percent. My remaining symptoms are the bouts of fatigue and exhaustion that don’t seem to provide a pattern. I can be very active one day and feel just fine the next. I can have an easy day and feel horrible the next. It’s very frustrating. It’s like there’s still a battle of some sort going on inside me. I have also picked up a horrible case of anxiety and depression from all of this. I just can’t seem to get excited or happy about anything anymore. This is totally the opposite of the old me. My closest friends cannot believe the change in my personality. I know that this can be common with cdiff and many other digestive issues, but what about the fatigue? I’ve searched it on here and can’t find many cases where that was a symptom. I’ve had quite a bit of bloodwork done, but probably not to the next level. I have been checked for mono and Lyme disease which both came back negative. I know you all aren’t doctors, but I’m just trying to find out if anyone else has experienced the fatigue, exhaustion symptoms.

I hope to soon be posting in the success stories. Up to this point the FMT has definitely been a huge improvement as far as the cdiff goes! I’m back to working full days in the cabinet shop, which can be very strenuous. No heat or air. Maybe I’m trying to do too much too soon and this is causing the fatigue? I don’t know...

I do hope you all are improving. I think about you all quite often and try to remember you all in my thoughts and prayers...

roy
Administrator

Re: 6 weeks since FMT

Postby roy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Your body's repairing itself, listen to it and rest when it tells you to.
You had a major infection in one of its largest organs.
A broken leg takes longer than 6 weeks to heal.
So does a broken colon!

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks Roy. I guess it is still very early. Hopefully the next few weeks will make a difference.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Fatigue is probably the most common symptom of absolutely every illness or condition under the sun, so you pretty much have to go by whatever else may/may not be going on symptom-wise to arrive at any conclusions as to what could be causing it. Anxiety and depression are also draining, energy-wise. I had high levels of anxiety about a recurrence of C. diff for several years after my own episode. I'm somewhat less anxious about it now. Though there's always a risk of getting it again,I've (mostly) come to accept that there's only so much I can do to prevent it. Any major illness or chronic illness is likely to cause or to worsen depression/anxiety, even to a PTSD level. I've found "talk therapy" to be helpful for my own ongoing anxiety/depression. Sometimes a psychiatrist can prescribe meds that will help, but be wary of taking those beyond the short term, as these drugs are implicated in a range of health issues if taken for years. Many people seem to find relief from meditation/yoga/exercise/other non-pharmaceutical lifestyle measures.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:39 pm

The outcome of a FMT usually does not happen overnight. It’s a process that takes time and every individuals system reacts differently. When I completed Fecal Infusions I had my good days and some bad. In the beginning it was a complete miracle to me. I no longer was confined to my home, and yes, there were days that I had set backs, and became very concern. I took Florastor for the 3 months that I suffered from C—Diff and continued to take it for 3 months after the infusion as well. Your post is very encouraging, and you appear to be out of the despair mode which is extremely encouraging as well. I wish you well and can see you to have gained faith during this process.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement. I do feel blessed to be doing as well as I am. Pneumonia is what started this whole adventure in the first place. I have to remind myself that when I had pneumonia years ago it took me over a year to feel normal. So, I guess I’m actually recovering from cdiff AND pneumonia at the same time! Still coughing up crud here and there, as well as having a tight chest. The main goal now is to try to avoid getting pneumonia again and needing more antibiotics!

Allis, you’re right. So many variables. I guess for now I’ll keep feeding/providing my body all the things it requires to promote healing and take monthly accessments on my symptoms.

Kathy, I also felt in the beginning that FMT was a miracle cure! By the third day I felt like a new person! Some of those affects have remained. I’ll try to stay focused on the positive. So far I’ve managed to avoid all anxiety and depression meds. The only pill I take right now is Florastor. One per day. I really want my body doing as much as it will on its own.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”