Diagnosed with C-diff 6 weeks ago

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jaylo
Brand New Poster

Diagnosed with C-diff 6 weeks ago

Postby Jaylo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Back in July after taking clindamycin for an infection I deveoped collitis. I didn't know what was going on because I was camping for a few weeks and wasn't sure of why I was suffering like I was. Once I returned from camping I saw the doc and went to my local health food store and After taking some super pro biotics, raw kraut and some kefir type drinks my bowel habits are back to what I feel to be normal however I seem to have developed a sadness, depression and hopeless attitude. I HAVE suffered these things in the past and had weaned off of all depression meds in the springtime, felt great, strong and forward thinking but almost overnight I seem to have hit some sort of blank or sad emotional wall. Not sure what to do. Should I see if the dr. will do another stool sample? I have read about the brain-gut connection but would like some more information about what really happens. All I can find is that depression makes C-diff easier to get, not that C-diff makes you more prone to depression. They recommended I take something to get rid of it once they got positive results but by the time I got the news, I was back to good bowel behavior and I was on my way to an Alaskan cruise. By the time I got home and talked with the dr. office they said since I was acting normal again in the bowel behavior that I was better. Any ideas and support would be most appreciated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with C-diff 6 weeks ago

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Hello and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters.

I'm glad that you have improved without having had to take antibiotics for c difficile. The first line of treatment is to remove the offending antibiotic, which you have and taking the probiotics, etc. helped you as well. As for the depression, it does seem to happen to many people. It happened to me as well. You might have your doctor check your vitamin levels - vitamin D and B12 in particular. Many seem to get deficiencies in these and that might be a possible reason for depression. I know low vitamin D can cause it.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 am

Hi and another welcome

You don't mention if they actually tested you for CDIFF. It's possible you had antibiotic induced diarrhea which can also make people feel terrible.

Hopefully you will continue to improve and feel better!

NanciT

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 am

I hope that you'll complete an online Adverse Event form about your experience with clindamycin on the FDA's website (see link to it following my post). Clindamycin is the top-offending antibiotic for C. diff and it's important that FDA hear from as many patients who have been affected by it as possible in the hope that it will lead to stricter warnings for doctors who prescribe it and people who take it.

Depression is a common accompaniment of serious illness; you're far from alone in that regard. However, I do not believe there is any greater predisposition to C. diff among people who are depressed. Depression gets a bad rap in that way. I'm being somewhat facetious; obviously it's not desirable to feel depressed. But there are no evidence-based studies of which I'm aware that establish any connection between depression and vulnerability to C. diff, or depression and any other major disease, for that matter. Such notions are based on hazy hypotheses about depression's effect on the immune system, which is far from being understood.

In any case, I hope you feel better soon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Rlw1226
Brand New Poster

Postby Rlw1226 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Hi there! I’m 8 months free of C Diff after 2 bouts late 2017 and one early 2018. Dificid finally cleared it up for me. However, I’ve never had mental health issues in my life. I own my own business and am an extremely motivated person - or was. But for the past several months - since being sick - I’ve struggled immensely with anxiety, depression, and a general lack of motivation. I finally went to a mental health therapist who specializes in the biological connection of the gut to the brain. First, let me tell you, yes!!! - Depression and C Diff are linked. And it goes both ways. Those with depression are more prone to C Diff and those with C Diff are also more prone to depression. The reason is simple: 95% of our serotonin is produced in the gut. When you get C Diff, your stomach is destroyed and the good bacteria killed off. You do not have optimal flora and therefore serotonin levels end up being extremely low. I’m not at all a doctor. But I can say I am getting help and I feel hopeful for the first time in months that I am not crazy. This is absolutely biological. I did an OAT test - see if you can find a doctor or naturopath who can order one for you. It will measure so so so many things and help you to get a grasp on what you can do to naturally with supplements and diet to regain both your mental and physical health. Heal yourself from the inside out! You can do this!

Eliza7
New User

Postby Eliza7 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Rlw1226 wrote:
> Hi there! I’m 8 months free of C Diff after 2 bouts late 2017 and one early
> 2018. Dificid finally cleared it up for me. However, I’ve never had mental
> health issues in my life. I own my own business and am an extremely
> motivated person - or was. But for the past several months - since being
> sick - I’ve struggled immensely with anxiety, depression, and a general
> lack of motivation. I finally went to a mental health therapist who
> specializes in the biological connection of the gut to the brain. First,
> let me tell you, yes!!! - Depression and C Diff are linked. And it goes
> both ways. Those with depression are more prone to C Diff and those with C
> Diff are also more prone to depression. The reason is simple: 95% of our
> serotonin is produced in the gut. When you get C Diff, your stomach is
> destroyed and the good bacteria killed off. You do not have optimal flora
> and therefore serotonin levels end up being extremely low. I’m not at all a
> doctor. But I can say I am getting help and I feel hopeful for the first
> time in months that I am not crazy. This is absolutely biological. I did an
> OAT test - see if you can find a doctor or naturopath who can order one for
> you. It will measure so so so many things and help you to get a grasp on
> what you can do to naturally with supplements and diet to regain both your
> mental and physical health. Heal yourself from the inside out! You can do
> this!

Hey this is very interesting!I feel exactly the same way I was super motivated but CDiff is just made me different person . I know is because of the symptoms I have. I had a treatment of cdiff with flagyl but it did not help me, I am thinking to try to cure it with vancomycin or try to use naturopath help. Do you think is good idea to use naturopath to treat the cdiff?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:54 am

100% no!
Do not replace mainstream medical treatment with natural treatments.

Eliza7
New User

Postby Eliza7 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 pm

roy wrote:
> 100% no!
> Do not replace mainstream medical treatment with natural treatments.
Thank you! Actually results came back negative so I don’t have to do vanco!!:) and I can start focus on my gut health... I am so excited to work with naturopath now and change my diet:) hopefully I would Help with my skin condition as well

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 am

Eliza, how long you had to wait to test after the treatment? My dr tested me one week after the treatment. But I hear that might have been too early
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”