Relapse or recovery?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bmcstew
Brand New Poster

Relapse or recovery?

Postby Bmcstew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 am

Hi everybody! My name is Stewart (28 y/o male) and I have a couple questions about everyone’s recovery phase?

I’ll try to condense my situation to just the current and relevant stuff but here’s a link to my full case story if you have the time to read through it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21067

So I had tested positive for C.Diff after a round of amoxicillin for another infection about two months ago. I began having bouts of D, M and B. Was put on vanco 4x day for 10 days. 3 weeks passed after the finishing the vanco with little to no concerning symptoms... Then this past weekend came the dreaded bouts of M and D. Lasted about two days and I had gone about 15 to 20 times each day. By the time I had gotten to my doc, those symptoms had began to clear up though my BM’s were still loose.

I took another stool test and it came out positive for C.Diff. Not sure what type of test it was, but the results referred to an amplified probe method? I have read people talking about PCR testing on this forum, so I’m not sure if that’s the same thing? Anyway, the pure M and D has stopped... my doctor prescribed 3 months of a vanco taper, but I’m concerned about jumping on more antibiotics if the D and M has seemigly resolved on its own in less than 3 days. Everything solidified, but now I’m dealing with C and it has been ongoing for the past 4 to 5 days. I go about 1-2 times a day now. I have no other symptoms, just occassional gassiness.

My main question is, has anyone here ever tested positive with symptoms that began to resolve on their own? Especially if the test was done after being treated with antibiotics like vancomycin? I’m curious, because I’m wondering if my body is actually fighting off this disease even after I had taken vanco.

Also, does anyone think C is concerning or has this been a normal symptom of recovery for any of you?

Some insight would be great :)

I’m kind of stuck in this state of uncertainty since I decided not to take the vanco taper for the time being. I’m trying to set up an appointment with a GI so I can get a clearer picture of what is going on down there. Hopefully I can talk to one soon!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse or recovery?

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:32 am

Hello Stewart,

Welcome to the site, but so sorry you have to deal with c-diff, and so sorry that you are going through this on top of your mom battling cancer. Please read the first forum for all new users if you haven't done so already.

It sounds as if your body is trying to fight this off on it's own. I read through your case history, and I definitely feel that on those couple of days that you were having copious D with M, that it sounded like a relapse. I know the food that you ate could add to an off day, but what you describe would lead me to believe that you were relapsing. However, you seem to be rebounding after a day or two. It's definitely a roller coaster ride from hell. It's a very hard decision to make on whether to treat again or not. I would be more inclined to ride this out a little longer to see if things improve more, but only your doctor and you can make the right decision for you. I would also be reluctant to go back on meds if you are not experiencing the D and M any longer. There are posters who had constipation as a symptom. It is not the norm, but it seems to happen among some. This is the frustration of c-diff - it is not a black and white disease, and each day brings different symptoms. Recovery is definitely a roller coaster ride. My gage was that as long as I was having some good days mixed in with bad days, it was normal recovery. But as soon as you have 3 days or more in a row of copious D, then it's most likely a relapse. But it does sound like your gut is at war right now between the good and bad bacteria. And the good seems to be winning, which is what you want your body to do.

-Lisa

Bmcstew
Brand New Poster

Postby Bmcstew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi Lisa!
Thanks for offering some thoughts on the matter! Yeah, I was listening to what my body was telling me and I just feel that jumping on an enlongated round of vancomycin is a bit soon for symptoms that seemed to have resolved on their own. I keep reading stories on here from people who regret taking so many antibiotics to beat this beast, so I too want to be careful about dropping too much antis if I don’t currently need them. The two docs I have seen so far seem to know very little about the illness or have only dealt with c.diff in hospital settings where it is more common.

BUT Good news today, (maybe TMI?).... I was able to have a big solid bm this morning with little to no effort. There was some bright red blood on my TP though, but I’m thinking that’s most likely a internal hemmorhoid or fissure. Like I said, I’m trying to get referred to a GI who can hopefully give me a better idea of what’s going on inside my body.

I’m going to hold off on the antibiotics unless my symptoms become worse or at least until I see a GI. I have the vanco on hand just in case I need to start it, gives me peace of mind.

Have you or anyone else had light rectal bleeding during recovery?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the support.

EDIT: update, got in with a GI at 4pm today. I will let you all know on my case history what he/she says.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Nobody can reply in case histories so best to post here.
Be cautious about the GI wanting to treat just because of test results.
If your body's is not reacting to c.diff then it's not considered a disease.
The perfect recovery is the one with the least amount of treatment that allows our natural immunity to finish the job.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:36 am

My GI and ID doctors both said not to treat unless D returned. After I got out of the hospital two years ago, I got D for a couple of days and tested because I had taken antibiotics. The test came back positive, but by the time I got the results, like you, the classic symptoms had subsided. I was told not to treat.

I am one of the ones that wishes I had not treated originally. The more vanco I took, the more relapses I got and finally had to have FMT.

Bmcstew
Brand New Poster

Postby Bmcstew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:28 am

Hi Roy and Beth,

Thank you for responding.

I guess I’m a little late on the update, but I did go to see a GI. She mentioned to me that most bright B is related to exacerbated hemorrhoids and told me NOT to jump on vanco taper unless there was serious bouts of WD along with other symptoms. She said my symptoms are most likely a result of residual toxins in the colon/large intestine that my body was trying to eliminate and she said it could last months into recovery.
Since then everything seemed to have returned to normal. Was slowly putting back on weight, BM’s were relatively normal, was starting to feel really good about everything because C.Diff was becoming an afterthought... Then BAM! A few days ago, I started getting abdominal pains and returned to have B, M, and D like last time. The D has fortunately subsided after two days, but I’m still passing very loosely with stool colors that are far from normal (mostly pale yellow, sorry if that belongs in TMI) Things seem to be slightly improving, but not much. I’m still getting minor abdominal pain and light nausea. Lost all the weight I regained. I’m going about 5 to 6 times a day so far. Lots of gurgling and twitching in the lower abdomen. Fatigue has also been more frequent. A lot more midday naps.

I also like to mention that I got a little over confident with my diet prior to this bout and ate a bunch of popcorn during a movie date... had a scoop of vanilla icecream that same day. Reintroduced whole grain bread... I also reintroduced black coffee fir a week which might not have helped either. Idk at this point, I just eliminated everything again and have gone back to a gluten and lactose free bland diet
I’m hoping this will get back to normal on its own like last time, but it seems to be taking a little longer this time around. Still debating whehter I should bother contacting the GI again since I’m not having WD and she told me to try and hold out for 2 months before testing again.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”