Changing Diapers/ Bathing a Newborn

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hht7899
New User

Changing Diapers/ Bathing a Newborn

Postby hht7899 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello All -

I am currently on Dificid after two recurrent infections of c-diff. I know that most newborns harbor c-diff in their guts naturally, so my question is could I possibly be re-infecting myself by changing his diapers? Or by bathing him after big poop blowouts and the poop getting into his bathwater, which then possibly gets on the rest of his perfect little skin that I can't help myself but kiss him all over all day long?

I am just trying my hardest to stop another reoccurance. Any advice on this would be helpful!

roy
Administrator

Re: Changing Diapers/ Bathing a Newborn

Postby roy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:41 pm

You are certainly transfering your babies faecal matter to your mouth.
Your son is very very likely to be carrying c.diff.
He DOES NOT need treating or testing.
You do need to look after your own health and adjust your habits though.

hht7899
New User

Postby hht7899 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:58 pm

What is the best way to go about protecting myself? My son is only 5 months old, and I obviously cannot just never change a diaper or bathe him again...

any advice from other moms on here who have had c diff and a newborn??

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Use all white towels and wash clothes. Plus white blankets. Keep baby’s clothes, towels, wash clothes separate. Soak them in the 1pt bleach 9 pt water solution that kills cdiff. Then wash them in the detergent that works for your baby.

Bathe your baby as you normally would, but afterwards spray the tub down with the same bleach solution ratio mentioned above. Let it stay wet 5-10 minutes and then rinse.

Of course wash hands regularly and keep your hands away from your face, hair and mouth. I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this while caring for a baby. It seems to be a fairly common thing unfortunately.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:19 am

When I first got c-diff my lady was only 6 months pregnant. When our little girl was born I relapsed a week later. While I was on medication I did all the dad stuff but after my second fmt I was very careful about changing her and bathing her. I’m lucky enough to have a separate bathroom. After a few months I started to let my guard down. I’ve had numerous ups and downs where I could swear I was relapsing but things always improved within a week. I figure I still come in contact with c diff frequently as my little girl barely just turned 2 and my significant other works in the hospital. But if my good bacteria are doing their job I don’t have to worry. I change blowouts, give baths, and take out the diaper trash bag. Basically be hygienic and it shouldn’t be a problem. All the best

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 pm

Davidtm - Do you wear gloves when you change the diapers? I have a new grandson and know at some point I will be doing this if we babysit.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”