Vanco after effects

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cake918
Regular User

Vanco after effects

Postby cake918 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm

History: I tested positive for cdiff in December of 2017. I was treated with vanco x 10, relapsed two weeks later. Retreated with vanco x 21. Diagnosed with PI IBS after cdiff (had IBS prior to cdiff??). Underwent colonoscopy, GI stayed and pics showed healing colon in February. Fast forward to August 2018. Strep throat, zpack with vanco preventatively x 10 days. Florastor 4x daily with Align 1x day. It’s now been 3 weeks since the vanco finished. I am having about 3 BMs (formed normally) a day but have a lot of gas/gurgling. Does the vanco disrupt the good bacteria in the colon and in essence cause me to restart all over again or do I worry it’s the cdiff returning? It took about 6 months for my stomach to begin to feel better after the December bout (even though I never tested for cdiff this round and haven’t had watery d of blood like the first) Is this just normal recovery from vanco use? Thoughts??

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: Vanco after effects

Postby Ajs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm

It very well could be normal Affects from the Vanco. Not to mention the zpack. My stomach has never tolerated antibiotics very well. It can take your gut a long time to recover from antibiotics. Hopefully you’ll bounce back quicker this time. I would watch my symptoms though. If things go worse rather than slowly better I’d mention it to my doctor and get tested. Hopefully you’ll see some slow but steady improvements!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco after effects

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 am

Or it could be from the amount of probiotics you take, 4 pills of florastor and 1 align is a lot to stomach. Reduce the amount and see if some of your symptoms subside.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”