How long post meds should I worry about reoccurance?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sammyp
Contributor

How long post meds should I worry about reoccurance?

Postby sammyp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:09 am

Hi all. I am in a much better place than the last time I posted. Quick recap - at the end of April a battle with severe EColi wiped my system and paved the way for CDiff. I failed my first course of Vanco relapsing exactly two weeks off meds. Most recently, I finished a 12 week taper/pulse of Vanco about 18 days ago and I'm doing great! My appetite is back, I'm eating almost normally (red meat and raw veggies are the only things I can't tolerate so well), and my energy level is much better. I don't have the rapid pulse like I had with active infection and no more stomach pain! I haven't had any D since my second day of Vanco more than 12 weeks ago.

My question is - how long should I worry about reoccurance? Obviously I feel great making it past the two week mark since that's where I failed last time. I'm sure more time has to pass than that so when can I finally feel at ease that I beat this thing?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: How long post meds should I worry about reoccurance?

Postby Ajs » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm

I’d say it’s a really good sign that your appetite is back and your other symptoms are gone. It says a lot that you are feeling so good. I relapsed after 4 weeks off Dificid, but although I didn’t have D, I still felt pretty bad during that 4 week period. I’m still very new to cdiff, but I’m afraid there’s always going to be that chance of relapse. I have a friend who relapsed after 3 years due to a colonoscopy. She had been on no meds. That being said, many, many people do not relapse. One things for sure, we all have to be extremely cautious when it comes to future antibiotic use.

So as far as a timeline on when you can expect to not relapse or suffer recurrence, I’ve heard anywhere from 4-12 weeks. But if your energy level is back, your feeling healthy, and eating without any backlash I would think you could start relaxing after 4 weeks. Hopefully those with more experience will chime in. Congratulations on your recovery!!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long post meds should I worry about reoccurance?

Postby AllisS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:56 pm

A C. diff infection that occurs years after the original episode isn't a relapse, it's a new illness. You can consider yourself "cured" of a C. diff infection if months or more have gone by without symptoms. That said, you could still contract C. diff again. Whether people who have had one episode, then years of being infection-free, are more prone to contracting it again, isn't known. The fact is that we're all vulnerable, especially in circumstances of having taken a wide-spectrum antibiotic, having been hospitalized, getting older (beyond age 65 or so), or, increasingly, even just picking it up outside of medical settings. Developing the habit of good hand-washing hygiene is the most important measure you can take to prevent C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”