Typical Recovery Time?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
SANJNMW
Brand New Poster

Typical Recovery Time?

Postby SANJNMW » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:30 pm

So I know this varies for every specific case but figured it couldn't hurt to ask or to get other people's experiences! I'm an otherwise healthy 27 year old male and after taking cefdinir for a UTI infection, I came down with C diff which was confirmed after going to the hospital after an awful morning of literally non-stop watery diarrhea and insane pain and they sent me home with vancomycin 125mg along with zofran to help with the nausea. I stopped taking the cefdinir which cured the UTI but was totally not worth it for all of this.

Anyway, I'm on Day 3 of the Vanco treatment and I notice a pattern so far: in the morning I have some more intense cramping followed by repeated diarrhea, at first it was like dark green but now it's returned to the more normal brownish color although the consistency is still all messed up and disgusting and sometimes it still comes out watery, and then during the rest of the morning and afternoon I just have this constant feeling of fullness and sorta nausea in my gut but I stop going to the bathroom. I've been eating mainly just rice, crackers, toast, maybe a plain english muffin throughout the day.

So I guess what I'm asking is, if everything goes right which I know can be somewhat of a BIG "if", when should I expect to feel considerable improvement or does the above count as improvement?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: Typical Recovery Time?

Postby Ajs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:02 pm

That’s a hard question to answer. Everyone’s cdiff experience is different. I’ve read where some who experienced a couple relapses actually felt close to normal within a few weeks after last treatment. I have also read of some who were cured after only one round of antibiotics and it took them more than a year to recover! I would suggest that no matter how well you start feeling, try to avoid sugar. Stay away from fatty meats for a while. Stick with grilled chicken/fish and well cooked vegetables. Green beans worked really well for me. Just try not to do anything to put added stress on your gut. Eat smaller, but more frequent meals. Try to incorporate some fermented foods into your diet. Even if it’s just a bite. Maybe some kefir milk as well. I also like taking Florastor. Just be cautious tryin to return to your previous diet too quickly. I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as most contributors on here, but I’ve tried to learn as much as possible during my own battle with the beast. Prayers and best of luck to you!

SANJNMW
Brand New Poster

Postby SANJNMW » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Thank you very much for the advise! Yeah seems to be the safest bet, at least for the foreseeable future, is foods that are bland, starchy and light! I'm gonna try to introduce some grilled chicken when I feel up to it for the protein I'm desperately missing.

I've also read much about taking probiotics but some reactions have been mixed and my gut isn't really used to digesting those.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 am

Recovery varies for everyone. We do have posters who take their Vanco and recover, slowly going back to regular eating. Right now while under treatment stick to a bland diet, the gut needs time to heal. Take things slow, baked chicken, baked potatoes, chicken soup, rice, crackers.... very bland. I stayed away from fruits and vegtables and slowly added. This will help in recovery.
The D and cramps should stop soon while on Vanco, if not give your GI a call.

Take Care

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”