What exactly does the pain feel like while healing?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Teddynz
New User

What exactly does the pain feel like while healing?

Postby Teddynz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Finished the flagyl two weeks or more ago, I’m just interested to know if anyone can describe the pain they feel afterwards and how long it will last?

For me it’s kind of a “hot” pain that’s on my left and right lower abdomen, I sometimes get it on my side behind my ribs too, it’s there 24/7 but might be slightly worse when I eat, it feels like inflammation.

I’m just curious if this is normal as it seems like such a long time to have this ache/swelling pain.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: What exactly does the pain feel like while healing?

Postby Ajs » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 pm

I have the exact pain that you described on my lower right side. Like you said, always there, but I don’t really notice it when I’m busy. When I sit or lay down I notice it’s there. Plus mine is also worse in the hours after I eat. I hope it’s normal. There was nothing abnormal from my colonoscopy. Hopefully just some inflammation from the infection and meds. I would also like to know if this is a common side affect...

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:54 am

Oh yeaaah , that "lovely" burning pain , i know it too very well!!

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:38 am

So it’s normal then? I say it’s a hot pain but really it’s hard to describe lol, I guess it feels basically like my intestines are enlarged and you can feel them inside of you? Aswell as a pinching pain every so often, mainly it just feels really uncomfortable but later on in the night it can become more painful. For me it’s lower left and right abdomen, almost beside my hip bone in the corners of my abdomen. It tends to flare up in other spots at different times too (under ribs or on my left or right side quite high up under the ribs too) but yes it’s always there and tender to the touche as well. Like you say the pain is more noticeble when you’re laying Down or sitting, it’s the main thing that worries me as I’m not sure if it is c diff related or not but as I say I’ve had it for a long time and I finished my antibiotics quite awhile ago.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 am

You had a serious infection in one of the largest organs in your body.
Treatment does not just switch off the damage.
Imagine pouring battery acid on your arm and that's the type of damage that active c.diff can cause in your colon!
If you did that to your arm you would keep it clean and still expect pain after several weeks.
You have to heal in an area that you cant see and its a very dirty germ ridden bag of yuck!
2 weeks is a very short time.
Some people take several months to totaly heal.
Anything but copious watery D is normal.

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 am

Ah okay sounds right,

Thing is I never really had much problems with D, only had it for about 2 days mildly and the rest was just formed but Undigested etc, I see a lot of people saying the D was a lot and for many days, just never had that symptom really I guess.

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:34 am

To be honest, I’m kind of worried I might have Crohn’s or something, today woke up pinching pains on both sides of my abdomen, really annoying.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Teddynz, there are very serious symptoms with Crohns and other IBDs. IBS and healing/recovery after c diff is scary and disruptive but not dangerous. Re-read Roy’s post to you and try to believe it. I had many months of painful and rough recovery but am fine. If you don’t believe what people here tell you you can check in with your GI.

Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Try looser underpants:-)

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:41 pm

I’m trying to believe it lol it just seems like the symptoms are pretty similar from what I’ve read? But I guess I carry on and hope for the best :).

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 am

"Im trying to believe it lol it just seems like the symptoms are pretty similar from what I’ve read?"
If your thinking that "annoying" symptoms indicate a serious disease your over reading medical sites!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:16 am

We often hear from posters in recovery they are having pain, feeling bad, continue with various symptoms that go on and on. We all recommend getting checked out by your GI, always follow up to make sure nothing else is going on.

The difficulty with CDIFF is recovery can be long and painful. We also live with the fear of another antibiotic in the future...and it will come back. It's hard sometimes to feel like you are actually recovering while feeling terrible. I was on treatment for a year, a tapered dose of Dificid for months. My pain continued and I was checked out several times by my GI, went in for testing and was left with post IBS, still have it 3 years later.

Some move on and have no symptoms, others have eating issues, pain and it can take a long time for things to feel "normal" again.

I lived with a heating pad every evening after work, went very slowly adding new foods and also even over the counter medications. Things that never bothered me can cause issues now. I wore "Sea Bands" due to the nausea that continued. Everyone recovers differently, but I always say get checked out. I did take a medication called hycosamine for IBS which really helped. I also still continue with VSL#3, a probiotic that is also a treatment for IBS.

See your GI, explain your symptoms. There are medications that can help once all have been ruled out

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:11 pm

I think I’m just trying to be positive Roy, the pains more than annoying tbh, like to me I feel as if the symptoms I have line up pretty close to anything I’ve read about UC or Crohn’s, the only difference being I haven’t had a colonoscopy basically but from what I can see the symptoms can be similar so who knows what I have, I’ve just seen people complain about pain but not really discuss exactly what it feels like, even ibs? What does having ibs generally feel like? Do you go to the bathroom constantly with ibs or? Do you constantly feel like your intestines/colon is inflamed?? Just be nice to hear exactly what people’s pain feels like so I can compare.
Last edited by Teddynz on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:15 pm

I’ve seen a doctor and he’s just said basically to wait and see for my appointment the hospital gave me, but that’s a month away and really I’m afraid Itl do more damage while I’m waiting for that lol

Basically the doctor said give it time and then it’ll become clear what you have, so that didn’t really help or give any insight into what I might have at all lol.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:29 pm

In the beginning I had pain and would get bouts of D. The last few years, if I get pain, it is usually gas pain. I sometimes feel like my intestines are inflamed and on bad days as if someone scraped sandpaper on my insides. It varies. Some days are pretty good. Everyone is different and I, like Nancy, was on medication for a very long time and that messed up my intestines more than the c difficile. FMT helped, but it wasn't a magic cure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”