Positive PCR Test?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
CarrieL
Brand New Poster

Positive PCR Test?

Postby CarrieL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 pm

I am a 36 year old female that just recently got a positive PCR test for c diff toxin A/B (how it reads on the lab results). I had been on a lot of antibiotics with concurrent Florajen probiotics after the birth of my son for recurrent UTIs. I had been on Cipro multiple times, Keflex multiple times, and Macrobid over the course of 10 months (it’s a miracle I didn’t get this sooner). What prompted me to go to the doctor was that I had just completed Macrobid (crazy the Macrobid was the antibiotic out of all of them that I was on that caused this) and had 3 loose stools a day for 2 days with abdominal pain/cramping, and some mild nausea. On the third day I took Florastor and my stools seemed to firm up a bit. It was on that third day that I was tested by my doctor for c diff based on my previous antibiotic usage (the sample I provided was actually on the firmer side). While waiting the 5 days for a call on the results, my stools were pretty normal (once a day and pretty formed, albeit it a tiny bit looser than normal), but I still was having intermittent abdominal pain. In my head I thought I probably didn’t have c diff as my stools were pretty much back to normal, so was quite surprised when I got a call that the c diff toxin was detected in my sample.

I was put on Vanco and had some adverse reactions after two doses to include severe (severe is an understatement) bladder pain, some weird numbness, and one bout of diarrhea. I immediately stopped and my doctor switched me to Dificid for 10 days (did not even want to mess around with Flagyl). In the time between stopping the Vanco and starting the Dificid which was a few days I started experiencing more nausea, still intermittent abdominal cramping, muscle aches, and a general feeling of just being sick/worn out, but fairly normal stools. I started the Dificid two days ago and I still am having some intermittent abdominal cramping/pain and a little nausea.

Sorry for the huge backstory, but I felt it was pertinent in being able to present my questions. Do I truly have c diff (probably in denial)? Is it possible it was a false positive given the stool sample provided was fairly firm (thought labs shouldn’t test firm stools for c diff which I learned after the fact)? I was able to get in with my ID (who I was already established with for my recurrent complicated UTIs). They said if the PCR test detected the toxin, I in fact did have c diff. Plus the other symptoms of feeling “sick” and abdominal cramping were c diff symptoms and I did not necessarily have to have watery diarrhea to have c diff, but that if I didn’t treat myself it could progress to that. Lastly, how long does it take for the Dificid to kick in?

As a side note, I am deathly afraid of my 15 month old son catching this, as I pretty much spent a week not thinking this was c diff and was also nursing him during that time (we have since stopped nursing because of the Dificid, unless anyone thinks I can continue nursing him). I am more afraid for him than I am for myself, but not sure how much cleaning is considered overboard. Do I need to use bleach when washing my clothes/undergarments? I have been doing general house/bathroom cleaning with the Chlorox bleach cleaner spray and the Chlorox germicidal wipes.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Positive PCR Test?

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 am

Hi and welcome to the site . Sorry you are feeling sick but as i read Dificid is doing it's job , as long as the BM have have a form and the frequency it's been reduced it is a sign that it kicked in , however those other symptoms are probably side effects of the drug or die-off symptoms.
It's not clear to me why your doctor insisted to treat your Cdiff in the first place, even if the sample was positive ,if your symptoms were so mild is enough to stop the offending antibiotic , to take a probiotic and let your own immune system fight the infection and symptoms can subside on their own . Treatment should be given only in the presence of symptoms ,if the frequent D along with abdominal pain , fever are not present then treatment is not required. If you already started the Cdiff treatment you need to finish it now , make sure you end the full course of Dificid and hopefully it this will be your magic bullet.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 am

A positive PCR test does not necessarily mean that you have an active infection. I have been testing positive on PCR for over two years - since I got out of the hospital in 2016 and had been given antibiotics. The hospital lab now follows up positive PCR tests with an EIA to see if the toxin is detected. My EIA has been negative. I have not treated for c difficile during this time and my stools are more on the C side these days. As Georgina said, you already started the treatment, so you should finish the Dificid. Dificid can be harsh to take for some to take, but once you start you should finish.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:12 pm

I tested positive for c diff both A and B toxin by PCR and had very firm stool. I wouldn't go for two or three days, but was running fever, weak, nauseated, fast heartbeat, very very ill feeling. I would then cramp and get straight M with B tinge every third day or so. I was told everyone is different. On relapse I had more if the classic sumptoms of D, going 18 times a day.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”