After Effects of C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hoverup
New User

After Effects of C Diff

Postby hoverup » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 pm

As most of you know I'm 33 y old f who had cdiff 2 years ago that had multiple occurrences of it. Once cured it took me a long time to get even somewhat back to normal. I still suffer all the time from stomach pains, gas, horrible IBS both C&D, and am wondering is there a turning point to where you get to feeling normal again? I recently found out that I am allergic to yogurt so my GI dr put me on Align with the florastor I have been taking for 2 years. I was also wondering if your allergic to both the yogurt and florastor if there is another course of treatment that can help? I've noticed my skin actually burns and itches after taking the florastor,however it only effects my neck head and chest areas no where else. Any advice would be wonderful.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: After Effects of C Diff

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:20 am

I was no longer able to tolerate yogurt either, but it wasn't an allergy, just intolerance. Florastor gave me a rash and terrible gas. I would not take it if you have symptoms. You could have a sensitivity to yeast and it might be doing more harm than good. There are other probiotics you could take. I take VSL#3. Maybe some of your symptoms will improve without the Florastor.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:35 am

There are a few posters here , including myself that have intolerance to yogurt or kefir .For me yogurt is awful , it gives me massive bloating and lots of gas , more frequency.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:05 am

Probiotics are medication and your body can see them as "foriegn".
As with any medication if you have side effects you cease using them.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:51 am

Update: So my doctor took me off florastor and put me only on VSL #3. After about two weeks my stomach started cramping bad and bouts of dx3 a day started 3 days ago. I’m worried it may be cdiff coming back because no matter how much probiotics I take I still have been having 3 bms a day however instead of watery d now it’s more normal looking. I’m going today to do a stool sample so I can find out what’s going on. The stomach cramps hurt bad and I seem to have stools in the afternoons which for me draws a red flag. I did switch back to florastor and yogurt night before last to see how my system handles it.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:58 pm

I can definitely relate to this issue. It's been 5 years since I had C. Diff and it has only been in the last year or so that I've been able to tolerate yogurt (although I can only eat about 1/2 of a Yoplait). I have never been lactose intolerant, but I am now. I don't take probiotics unless I have to take an antibiotic. I have noticed that I am becoming more tolerant to different types of food that bothered me in the early stages of recovery.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:50 pm

I was wondering is 4-5 bm a day of diarrhea with constipation normal? I’ve been eating my yogurt and florastor but I’m wondering if because I was on and off probiotics for a month if it did me more harm than good. Any thoughts on cutting down the d?

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Forgot to post I did have a stool sample done there was no cdiff in it however I’m doing 4-5 times a day d now and there was blood found in my stool. Kind of worried but I’ll get my results hopefully Monday or Tuesday on the culture.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 am

What do you mean by " diarrhea with constipation "?

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm

I am commenting on the D mixed with C. I know quite a few individuals with this from my PI-IBS group. It isn't wildly uncommon and yes its very bothersome.
I am 1.5 years or so post FMT for cdiff and STILL have daily issues with pain/D/cramping (diagnosed at 25 and "cured" at 28). I have narrowed it down to a list of foods and certain stressors. The best thing I could do is stop waiting to "go back to normal" cause some of us don't. I just enjoy each good day that I have despite the limited food choices etc.

About the probiotic, the only one that worked for me without making symptoms worse is Nexabiotic. You just need to trial and error with different ones.

We all live with the stress of cdiff coming back. Try to take each day as is instead of stressing. It took me a year to finally gain acceptance of my "new normal" and just to be thankful that I continue to test negative for cdiff.

Wish you all the best.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”