Spontaneous recurrence after 10 months?!?!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
slplkaye
Regular User

Spontaneous recurrence after 10 months?!?!

Postby slplkaye » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 am

I will start off by saying that this group helped me tremendously after being diagnosed last year. I contracted c diff after taking clindamycin for cellulitis. I am an otherwise healthy 36 year old woman. Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment for a butterfly-type rash on my face (no other symptoms) and my doctor has decided to test for lupus. I am an extremely anxious person. After my appointment at 9:30 yesterday morning, I googled lupus alllll day. My stomach started cramping last night. When I woke up this morning, I had four large, all water BMs that smelled terrible. Can c diff come back after 10 months with no antibiotic use? I work as a therapist in a daycare type setting. We have a few children here that have had multiple bouts of c diff (all after antibiotics). I am a germaphobe to the core and always have been. I wash my hands at least 20 times a day and I try not to even use the bathroom at work. Could I have c diff again simply from being exposed at work? Can anxiety cause severe stomach cramps and watery diarrhea even a full day after the event that caused the anxiety?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Spontaneous recurrence after 10 months?!?!

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am

Anxiety can cause a great deal of issues to our body, and especially our GI system. Any of us can pick up CDIFF, but it's unlikely. I work in a hospital where it is right in front of me, I take all precautions necessary. It sounds like you are doing the same. I have up's and down's with post IBS, my recovery has taken a long time.
I go back to a bland diet when that happens and let things settle down. There are flu's and other bugs out there, it's not always CDIFF. Unfortunately many of us carry around that fear.
Give yourself some time, easy on the diet and see how you do

feel better soon

NanciT

slplkaye
Regular User

Postby slplkaye » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:22 am

Thank you so much. I can't seem to stop letting this anxiety get the best of me. I HATE IT! I kept telling myself that if I made it six months without a relapse, I would be in the clear. Well, here I am ten months later and still letting it control me!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:47 am

Not all smelly D are from Cdiff , it may be another bug or a virus , or something you ate. If you continue to have symptoms you can get tested at least for a peace of mind.Try to return on a very bland diet until things settle down and try not to let anxiety control your life. Anxiety can give you lots of issues especially GI issues so you might wanna do something about it , meds or therapy.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”