Spores

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Whyme111
Regular User

Spores

Postby Whyme111 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi,
Since I've ended my Vanco taper/pulse treatment, I've obviously been a little on edge regarding this stuff coming back. I am keeping the anxiety at a manageable level and keeping busy however I do have a question. I understand the purpose of taper/pulse and tricking the spores to active status in order to knock them out but could there still be spores left after treatment that the body can handle without meds? Is the goal to kill them all or most? Can the body fight with probiotics? Also, is it normal after vanco to experience increased symptoms such as back aches and a little cramping after eating?
Thanks.

Kuro
Contributor

Re: Spores

Postby Kuro » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi!

Yes, it's possible there are spores left after treatment. As you say, the purpose is to trick as many spores as possible into germinating between antibiotic 'attacks' so they get knocked out with the next dose. That doesn't guarantee it gets them all.

Having said that, the taper ideally leaves behind little enough that the gut flora can handle and 'crowd out' any CDIFF which germinates.

It's very normal to have some symptoms after Vanco is ended, taper or not. Most people (myself included) felt great while on Vanco and then had problems with symptoms after they went off. Unfortunately, recovery is rough and it only starts once the antibiotics end.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Kuro,
Unfortunately I just passed straight mucus again. I had a pounding headache yesterday and I had a feeling this was happening again.... I'm so frustrated! What do I do now? Thanks for listening.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 pm

You need to call your doctor and retest. If you can't get ahold of the doctor and the straight M continues, go to urgent care. It could very well be a relapse.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:17 am

I called the on call and he said he really can't do anything without the positive test but if it gets worse to go to the hospital. The vanco at least kept the symptoms under control but like last time, once I stop them, the straight mucus returns within a few days. I'm now noticing a little blood too. I'm so frustrated. I've been dealing with this since March. The Vanco isn't kicking it. I don't get why it's still lingering...I'm taking vsl 3/2x day plus s. Boulardii. What else can I do?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:23 am

I would ask for Dificid. Vanco did not work for me. I kept relapsing too and my first symptoms was always the pure M. I would go to urgent care or to the hospital like the doctor said and tell them that you had been on vanco and that you want to try Dificid. Make sure your insurance covers it. Mine does, but not all of them do.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 am

Thank you for the response. I will ask for that med. The on call Dr mentioned fecal transplant. I think I'd like to try the med first though.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:44 am

Many have had success with Dificid and were able to avoid FMT. I definitely would try that first.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 am

I agree , a long course of Dificid might be your magic bullet.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:44 am

May I ask...it just seems like everyone suggests rounds and rounds of meds before FMT. I would think that chemicals that are anti life (antibiotics) would be so much harsher on your body than giving it good healthy bacteria. I've known several health care workers who have said they would go directly to FMT if they relapsed once. I'm just curious. Is it because of the colonoscopy? If so, that was so quick and easy.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:00 pm

No, it is because you are introducing bacteria that is foreign to you and even though the stool has been tested, there is still a chance that you may get a pathogen from another person. They can't test for everything and there is much about the microbiome that is not yet known. Basically, it is because there is a risk, even if small.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi,
I'm really bummed. After months of treatment, it only took 4 days for the body to go haywire again. What gets me is my cbc was good, vitamins ok, inflammation markers fine, yet these symptoms continue. I keep hearing there are different strains, is this a reason the meds work sometimes yet don't work for others? I'm loading my system with great probiotics as the Dr ordered. I'm sorry for the rant but I continue to be told that I'm healthy, which is so hard to believe now.
If I find my own donor, does anybody know how long the testing takes before the FMT can happen?
Thank you all for responding.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:05 pm

I've heard there are over 30 different strains. They have gotten more and more resistent to antibiotic treatment. That is why Flagyl is no longer recommend.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 pm

I used my own donor. Testing takes a week at most. Blood tests for hepatitis, HIV, and VD if I remember right. Stool tests were ova and parasites, culture for enteric pathogens and c diff. This was years,ago, so maybe more are required now. Ask the doctor.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”