Symptoms of relapse

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
SusanB
Brand New Poster

Symptoms of relapse

Postby SusanB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:57 pm

My previously healthy 15-year-old daughter developed c diff after being on two different antibiotics to treat a high fever/strep throat. She was prescribed Flaygl (now we know the doc should have prescribed Vanco), relapsed three days after finishing the Flagyl, then was prescribed Vanco (10 days) and is now three days post-Vanco. She's been able to eat a healthy diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains since day five or six of Flagyl (doc recommends eating a very healthy, high fiber diet, if possible to encourage prebiotic growth/healthy gut). I also started giving her about a cup of kefir a day for the past two days and gave her one Florastor capsule for the first time today (trying to build up that healthy gut). This afternoon she mentioned she had a fairly loose stool for the first time since she's been off Vanco. Of course, we're wondering if she might be relapsing... The first time she relapsed she had a very crampy stomach and loose stool (not WD). What were your experiences with relapse? I'm assuring her right now that the looser stool is probably just due to her high fiber diet and maybe the dose of Florastor (she seems to do well with kefir). My anxiety is just awful...but I'm trying not to let her see it. Doc has already said that if she were to relapse she'd go on Dificid for ten days (I read that a physician mom of a 14-year old with c diff on this support group had her daughter do a Dificid taper -- anyone know more about that?) and would see a pediatric gastroenterologist. Any advice, support, etc anyone has to offer is welcome. Thank you...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Symptoms of relapse

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Sorry that your daughter has to deal with this. Florastor generally doesn't give looser stools, but kefir can. Some people do get loose stools with Florastor. I found that once I was off vanco, I had food intolerances. She may too. I did not relapse until 2 or 3 weeks after stopping vanco, but if her symptoms get worse, I would ask the doctor to test. It may be a relapse or it may be IBS.

You are right about the 14 year old who did well with Dificid. I would send a pm to her mother with your questions.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi there, I've answered the PM but didn't realize you needed more info regarding the taper. Hopefully this isn't a relapse, but in case it is:

Here's the paper we used to convince our doc to try the taper.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4281782/

Basically what Dr. Johnson does is a usual Dificid course (2 x per day for 10 days), then follow that with the taper which is 1 tab per day for 7 days, then every OTHER day for 13 doses.

Good luck and please let us know how she does. My daughter had NO side effects at all from the Dificid, and it started working very quickly.

SusanB
Brand New Poster

Postby SusanB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Thank you so much for your kind responses. I'm thankful I found this group!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:45 am

At this point the symptoms she's experiencing can be from the probiotics , kefir or maybe from the high fiber . You could try and cut back on probiotics to see if that is what's causing the symptoms and if that doesn't work you can have her cut off the kefir as well. One fairly loose stool doesn't indicate a relapse , it more IBS related. With a relapse you will have more then one loose stool,urgency , abdominal pain and generally feeling very ill.
Hope she recovers soon!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”