Highest risk question i ever had to ask..

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mattzkie
New User

Highest risk question i ever had to ask..

Postby mattzkie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm currently on a 14-day course of Vancomycin for c-diff, it is my 2nd round because i recently relapsed 6 days ago. My 30th birthday is comin up this Sunday and we will be flying out to Vegas, I was wondering, has anyone here ever tried drinking a couple of drinks of alcohol while on Vanco? and if so, how did your body react afterwards? or the next few days? How did you space the dosage of Vanco from the alcohol drinks? how many hours before and after Vanco before you started drinking? I'm really just curious even though i know that it is really not a good idea. I am not an alcoholic whatsoever but it just so happens that i relapsed a week before my 30th birthday and I would like to have at least just a drink or 2..(if i can drink in moderation is there such thing as the safest drink out there for a person on and with Vanco/c-diff?)

Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I haven't drank any alcohol since New Years eve which is 6 months before my first c-diff diagnosis.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Highest risk question i ever had to ask..

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 am

Drinking alcohol is NOT a good ideea!! Alcohol really irritates you already irritated gut and will reduce the efficacy of the antibiotic. Don't drink alcohol now , or in early recovery!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 am

I ditto Georgina! Drinking alcohol is a No-No for sure!!! You will regret it!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 am

I agree. We have had several on this site who have run into problems with alcohol. I am unable to tolerate at all and it's been a long time since I have had CDIFF.
Enjoy your time without it, the risk of causing GI upset while being treated is high.

Have fun!!
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:23 am

Someone with c.diff would not need to ask that question.
Alcohol would not be something they would consider using!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 pm

I am fairly sure you can consume alcohol on Vanco. But I would not do it unless you call and get an ok from your doctor. The more important reason is that alcohol is a GI irritant. Anything that acts as an irritant could make you heal less and be more prone to relapse again.
I know it’s hard, because alcohol is such a part of any celebration, vacation and socialization in our culture. And it can be a real drag when everyone else is drinking and you aren’t.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:19 pm

It doesn’t matter whether or not the alcohol will affect the vancomycin. Drinking alcohol during c diff or recovery is foolish. As everyone has told you it is a GI irritant and can make you extremely ill. I am surprised you even have the desire. Your body will be very sorry if you try it. I didn’t drink for 1 year- which might be extreme- and I love my wine.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 pm

I couldn't even leave the house for 6 months lol but that is great you are feeling well enough to make the trip. I would skip the booze, you might end up in a Vegas hospital and they are awful. I don't drink alcohol or coffee, can't handle either...

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”