Should I find a new doctor?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cookie21
Brand New Poster

Should I find a new doctor?

Postby cookie21 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 am

I was not on AB or in hospital, but somehow got c diff in March. It came on suddenly for 2/3 days. I went to a walk in clinic and she gave me cippro and Bentyl. I went back two days later and asked to do a stool sample(I thought I had food poisoning). That weekend I felt better. No symptoms so I didn't do the sample. But then one week later I did the sample because the D came back. Turns out I have c difff. They gave me flagy for 10 days. And told me to see a doctor for follow up. I went to a GI and they said to call if happens again. Last night, the symptoms came back; pain, WD with mucus. I called the doctor and she told me to take Imodium twice a day and to get a stool sample done. I called back after I was told at the lab it could be 5 days before results are back. When I told them this, they said they would gave me flagyl to start.

Is this the normal process with c diff? To start with Imodium and to be put on flagyl again? I wanted to ask for something different but the office was closed. I also thought I should wait for the results.

From what I have read, doctors are no longer prescribing flagyl for c diff, yet I am on it again? Should Imodium be taken as well?

I had it in March and it is now August. Is that considered a relapse?

I have no fever. Just camps, and WD with mucus. It seems to be worst at night; around 12am.
After I was told I have c diff, I now take probiotics every day.

Should I find a new doctor or is this the normal process to wait and take anti diarrhea meds?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Should I find a new doctor?

Postby AllisS » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am

Hi cookie, welcome to the site. Please read our guidelines for all new posters when you have a chance -- first entry on Intro page.

Your own research is correct: Flagyl is no longer the first-line treatment for C. diff. You should ask for either Vancomycin or Dificid. That said, I do think you need a new doctor, as she should have been familiar with this change in treatment protocol. Her recommendation to take Imodium is also unwise; this and other anti-diarrheal drugs can cause even more problems when taken by someone who has C. diff.

Try and get an immediate referral to another GI doctor -- preferably one who specializes in C. diff -- or an infectious disease doctor. You can also try to self-refer; call the GI or infectious disease department of a hospital or major medical center, if you have access to one, and stress that you're feeling ill and need to be seen ASAP. Avoid walk-in or urgent-care clinics for this problem; they prescribe antibiotics unnecessarily at a high rate.

As for probiotics, you don't mention which ones you're taking or in what doses. Don't overdo with probiotics; they can cause GI symptoms, themselves.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Definitely DO NOT take Imodium!

cookie21
Brand New Poster

Postby cookie21 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Thanks. This board has been very helpful. I didn't think I was supposed to take the Imodium. But, I didn't know what else to do, as I still had to function during the day, and was going about almost every 1-2 hours. When I started the Flagyl yesterday, I started taking Florastor; just one a day. Once I get the results from the lab, I will push for Vancomycin or Dificid. Or should I just finish the Flagyl? I will already be on day 5 on Monday, when the results should be in.

I haven't told anyone that I have c diff(not even the first time). I just tell people I am not feeling well. Not even my own family. I just tell them I am sick and to not use my bathroom.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 am

My opinion is that if you already started Flagyl you should try to finish the course. Who knows , maybe it will work for you. There are several people on this board who were cured by it , so fingers crossed that it will do the trick for you too. But if is not resolving your symptoms or it makes you feel worse , do push for the main treatment. Florastor is a good probiotic , it's yeast based and it can be taken along with the antibiotic , but if i were you i would be taken it twice per day. I can relate with the embarrassing feeling of not wanting to share your illness to everyone else but i would let my family know what i'm dealing with ,maybe someday you will need their help (getting you to the hospital , making you meals if you feel weak and unable to do it ,etc) and have them take all the proper hygiene measures such as : proper hand washing.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”