Just diagnosed with shingles,Herpes Zoster

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Just diagnosed with shingles,Herpes Zoster

Postby Ismaila » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 am

After diagnosis, prescribed Valacyclovir, anti viral. Also, shingles on unusual place, right side inside my mouth.

Are we safe with antivirals? On the medical web sites, I literally found one story , sick older man diagnosed with CDI with this medication.

I am very scared to take this (took only one last night). Two and a half years after CDI. Also, do I have to use medication for shingles, or just to wait it out? I of course know this is medical question, but would welcome people's experiences.

Thank you all , Ismaila

roy
Administrator

Re: Just diagnosed with shingles,Herpes Zoster

Postby roy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 am

If it's more than 3 days since the rash appeared then antivirals probably wont make much difference.
You would need to ask a pharmacist for advice but I have not heard of antivirals causing c.diff.
Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 am

Roy, thank you very much.

What I read was actually one case documented on web site of NIH (U.S. National Institute for health). I also asked the doctor who prescribed, and the pharmacist, and they both said it does NOT cause C Diff. But, I am wondering if I need to take it at all? I had it once, long ago, when I was in my 20s, on the back. It was very mild and went away without any consequences, but, again, I was in my mid 20s... I am 57 now.

I would rather not take the damned thing if I do not have to.

Thank you so much for such prompt answer, and all the best. I know Georgina took some antiviral few times, and I would like, if she sees the post, to reply to me.

Ismaila

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am

Back in 2013, I suffered from a painful bout of Shingles on my left upper leg and buttock for a couple of months. During that time I used a Valacyclovir salve to treat the sores and took Gabapentin for the pain. Recovered fully with no scars.

Best of luck!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:25 pm

So in the past 2 days I had to take three mouth dissolving tablets of anti-fungal, and literally one tablet of anti-viral. I today had in the afternoon severe heartburn with D, and I apologize in advance for TMI, but the smell was unfortunately too familiar (like C DIff).

I was under no antibiotics, and I had C Diff 2 and a half years ago. I am petrified with fear, and under a lot of stress because doctors can not agree on the diagnosis of something that is going on in my mouth since last Sunday - whether it is localized oral thrush, or oral shingles.

Anyone with a good piece of advice, please help. The smell was, again, too familiar.

Thank you,

Ismaila

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Sorry you are going through this. I am sure you are scared. I will forever be terrified of C Diff like it's a demon or something.
As far as I know shingles will run it's course and resolve. The antiviral will just make your symptoms milder. I had it in my mid thirties due to exhaustion, working full time, and little kids. But... I am not a medical professional, so that is just my personal recollection of having it.
If you have thrush... I have had lots of experience with that. I developed candida problems when I had recurrent c diff.
I have taken Nystatin, the lozenges (I forget what they are called), and Diflucan several times.
I can tell you it's possible the antifungal could cause D just because it's an irritant, if you have a sensitive GI/IBS. I recently took Nystatin again after a stool analysis showed I had candida, and ended up with terrible D and abdominal pain. I had to quit taking it. Look up the lozenges and see if D is a side effect.
The thing is, for many of us, we fear any medication will disrupt our gut flora or immune system can cause relapse. There is just no way not to fear it. Someone has recently posted on here there doctor attributes their relapse to NSAIDS and steroid eye drops. It's terrifying.
So, I mainly just wanted you to know...in my case, I have taken anti-fungals that have caused GI upset, but NOT c diff relapse.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Thank you much MKW. It is comforting - yes it can cause GI upset, but I researched like crazy over clinical sites, and it does not say anywhere it actually causes C Diff. I would have not been very much scared for the GI upset this afternoon, - you would not believe the stress and problems in my life I had in the past few months. I am literally in the CONSTANT state of high anxiety and all kinds of phobias. But, it was the smell that scared me. However, as my friend, also a former sufferer said, it would take at at least several days, or a week for C Diff to to show itself - not less than 12 hours after three lozenges.

So I stopped taking anything until the doctors know what the this irritation in my mouth is. If it is shingles, I am not taking anything; if it is oral thrush, I am not sure what to do. I went back to Florastor today anyway. I will hope for the best. Thank you again.

Ismaila

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Hey, I can tell you a natural remedy for oral thrush that greatly helped me - coconut oil. I think it is referrred to as “oil pulling”.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:47 am

Hey,
I first got c-diff in 2007. I was a moderator on this site for a few years. In 2015 a FMT at Mayo appeared to have cured me. Last month I had the first of two shingles vaccinations after which I developed some blisters. ER gave me Valcyclivar. 14 days after last pill, I came down with c-diff. ER doctor said antivirals would not cause cdiff. Internet said it was 29/1000 chance. I am one of the lucky ones. With c-diff, never say never. It may have just been bad luck on my part, but I thought I would chime in on the subject just for the record. My opinion, there are still a lot of unknowns about c-diff. And the bacteria changes and there are different strains. Be careful out there. Everything is a gamble.
Hello to Bobbie, Beth, Roy and all of the wonderful old timers who give them time heart to the cause.
Anne.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”