Psychological Symptoms of C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jake1080
Brand New Poster

Psychological Symptoms of C Diff

Postby Jake1080 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Hello, I am a 25 year old male and was diagnosed with C-Diff two weeks ago on the day. Before being diagnosed, I took a round of Cephalexin followed by 2 doses of Augmentin (which I had an allergic reaction to). I went to the doctor several times after finishing the antibiotics with many different symptoms. Muscle twitches, headaches, light sensitivity, D, And severe nausea. The strange part is during this time I felt the most anxiety and depression that I have ever experienced in my life. My life essentially stopped and the psychological symptoms became overbearing. It took many, many doctors visits to finally figure out it was C-Diff. My question for everyone is did anyone else experience severe anxiety and depression before being diagnosed? Were/are muscle twitches common for you? My doctor seems to think the two aren’t related, but I can’t possibly see why all the psychological symptoms would pop up out of the blue. I’m trying my best to fight this and took a round of Flagy, which made me feel 100x worse both mentally and physically, and I am currently taking liquid Vanco, and I’ve noticed mild improvement with my mood and physical symptoms, but after 7 days on Vanco I’m still having D and nausea. This has been by far one of the most awful illnesses I’ve had and it seems nobody around me understands it, and is frustrated that I’m not being as productive as I used to be. The people close to me are pushing me to just lead my life normally and to not think of my symptoms, but no matter what I do I feel physically and mentally terrible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my support group is very small. Thank you, and I’m sorry to all that have and have had this terrible illness.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Psychological Symptoms of C Diff

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 am

Hi Jake and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for standard information for new posters.

Psychological symptoms seem to go hand in hand with c difficile for many people. There is a mind/gut connection and seratonin levels can be affected by the imbalance that c difficile causes. I had the muscle twitches as well. I am not sure if it was from toxins or if it was from electrolytes being depleted. When you have D, your potassium levels can go down as well as sodium and a number of other things - vitamin deficiencies like B12, B6, D, etc. These deficiencies can cause a variety of symptoms, even the depression.

I am glad that the vancomycin is helping some. Are you taking any probiotics? Those might help too, but be careful, because for some it can give more GI symptoms. I had to try various before I found one that helped me.

I would also ask your doctor to check your vitamin and mineral levels. Vitamin D, B12, B6 are ones that many have seen go down. Iron also. Low B12 can also give muscle twitches as can low potassium. If you are still having D, check the electrolytes for sure.

I also got severe nausea, but after starting vanco, it did improve, although not right away.

Give yourself time to heal. It doesn't go overnight and one really can't get back to life normally right away. Eat bland food to start, but make sure you eat. Baked chicken, rice, baked potato, turkey, applesauce, toast, etc. are good things to start with.

Let us know how things progress and we are here to support you.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:24 am

Nancy always has excellent advice, only adding in that I also had muscle twitching and severe anxiety/depression. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your recovery.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:50 am

Although there are no real proof of Cdiff causing psychological disturbance , many here will tell you that ever since Cdiff started it messed up everything for them including the mood. For me it's been very difficult , i was really depressed and started to have panic attacks , tremendous fear , phobias , things that i never had before Cdiff . The most difficult thing of all was the terrible insomnia ,it was really severe , i thought that i'm gonna die from sleep deprivation so i had to go to a psychiatrist to get treatment.I had some trouble until i found the right treatment , but now i'm fine. I'm not saying that you should run to the psychiatrist straight away , but if you feel overwhelmed consider getting help , do not let anxiety and depression control your life.

mitten28
New User

Postby mitten28 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:43 am

Hi Jake,

Much like others, I'm having similar muscle twitches, anxiety and depression. In fact immediately before my D started in the first place I had a deep feeling of panic like I've never felt before and said to my spouse "something isn't right"...and then boom, had to run to the washroom. Beth is so right about the mind/gut connection and this infection seems to throw everything out of whack. Wishing you healing and relief!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”