Tips for keeping a colonization from expanding? Please!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Cmurph
New User

Tips for keeping a colonization from expanding? Please!

Postby Cmurph » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:20 am

34yo female here. Tested positive for c diff but am asymptomatic. I am taking probiotics (and florastor), eating activia yogurt, and drinking a little kefir everyday.
I am trying to avoid sugar. I had not had a BM in 3 days, but today I have had 3, getting looser each time, so of course I am freaking out! Trying to be calm telling myself its probably just from not going in a little bit...
Any suggestions?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tips for keeping a colonization from expanding? Please!

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:58 pm

Continue to try not to get too anxious as that will affect your BMs.
You don’t say if you are postive for toxins. If not, you have nothing at all to worry about.
Even if so, just continue to monitor symptoms- but you may never have any therefore never need any treatment.
Don’t overdo the kefir with the probiotics and yogurt as that can cause loose stools also.

Best of luck.
Rita

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:16 am

Just wanted to add, as someone who has always leaned C, that after three days of not going at all... Well, your body clearing itself out can progress from a formed BM through to softer and softer still. That's not abnormal.

Ril's advice otherwise says it all!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 am

Probiotics and kefir can definitely cause looser stools. Don't overdo them.

Forest
Brand New Poster

Postby Forest » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:16 pm

I wonder what it means to overdo probiotics...my Dr. told me to take 1 pill a day. BTW, am on Day 1 of venco and still feel wretched.
Thanks,
Forest

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:03 pm

I would say that overdoing it is taking more than is recommended on the bottle. If you take a multi-strain probiotic, but take Florastor as well, which is a yeast, you take two different type of probiotics. That is different because one is a bacterial strain and the other a yeast. But, if you take more than is recommended, that in my opinion, is overdoing it. Some people can handle it, but many develop gas and looser stools. I would get cramping, gas, and D. I would do what your doctor suggested. One pill is definitely not overdoing it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Probiotics are medication, untested medication.
Just because they are available over the counter does not mean they are 100% suitable for everyone.
They are not natural gut bacteria and do not (in most cases) grow or colonize the human gut.
Taking more than the recommended dose can result in temporary gut problems that can mimic c.diff symptoms.
Probiotics are also best avoided if theres any sign of blood in stool or vomit.

Vanco takes up to 5 days to resolve c.diff D. then your fragile gut can start to recover.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”