Confused and hating flagyl

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Cmurph
New User

Confused and hating flagyl

Postby Cmurph » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am

I am a 34 yo female who tends to be highly sensitive to medication of all kinds. Usually I will get one or more weird side effects. Unfortunately last week I was diagnosed with c diff from a course of cephalexin prescribed for a sinus infection and strep throat. I did have diarrhea while on the antibiotics but mostly just once a day. My dr tested me because I was complaining of gut discomfort. When I was told I would have to take another antibiotic I was crushed. My bowel movements were becoming less watery as soon as I finished the cephalexin, but weren't quite normal. So I decided to keep my chin up and start flagyl(500mg twice a day for 10 days). The first day wasn't so bad. However, by the second day my head and ears were killing me. I thought "what now?" Went to urgent care, all looks fine... was feeling better anyway. When it became time for my next dose I took it and ,low and behold, the pain shot up again. Nasty headache, pain and pressure in my neck, burning in my ears, and pain shooting into my shoulder. I had this same sensation 45 minutes after each of 3 doses before I made the correlation.
Then last night I decided to keep taking the meds until I spoke to my dr. I had the feeling again and on top of that I couldn't fall asleep for the life of me, felt wide awake and antsy. By 12:30 am I was feeling an irrational rush of anxiety, which I am already prone to but have noticed is severely aggravated by antibiotics. It hit me so hard I had to wake up my boyfriend to console me, then take a xanax, and cried myself to sleep.
I have been taking probiotics and am going to get myself some kefir today. My only symptoms now are some intestinal rumbling and gas. I'm thinking about trying to go the holistic route, but am very afraid of c diff turning into the classic case-type symptoms. One thing I know is I am not putting another dose of flagyl in my body, the physical side effects are one thing, but the mental discomfort is unbearable.
I am torn about how to handle this. I've read so much, people have had such horror stories,but on the other hand people who my have just a touch of c diff probably go undiagnosed all the time and are able to balance their bodies out on their own.
What should I do???
Any input is appreciated!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Confused and hating flagyl

Postby NanciT » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

What day of Flagyl are you on? It is very harsh medication for many to take, I made it to day 5 but was sicker than when I started. If you are still on it, asked to be switched to Vancomycin. Flagyl is NO longer a first line treatment. It's difficult to say if you did not finish it, stop it what will occur.
There are some who take the first course and do fine after, it's difficult to know.

Sorry you had to find us, hope you feel better soon

nanciT

Cmurph
New User

Postby Cmurph » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:49 am

I only made it to day 4, it is the worst medicine i've ever been on! I'm going to cross my fingers, do my research, and hope for the best! Thank you for answering!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Flagyl can give you all kinds of neurological symptoms. My mother got peripheral neuropathy from it. You are right to stop. If your symptoms of D come back despite taking probiotics, then I would speak to your doctor about taking vancomycin or even better, Dificid, if your insurance covers it. Often one doesn't even need to treat c difficile. The guidelines are to stop the offending antibiotic and try to let your body heal without treatment. If D doesn't subside or gets worse, that is a different matter. I got D about 6 weeks after taking antibiotics at the hospital in 2016, but by the time my test result came back, the D had subsided. I did not treat. I only took Pepto Bismol for the D the days I had it.

Cmurph
New User

Postby Cmurph » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:37 pm

That is a very comforting response! My fear is not healing on my own, I thankfully never had the full signs of c diff to begin with, my worst complaint is gassyness. But I fear ending up with worse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:34 am

If you get D and worsening symptoms, then you may have to treat, but don't take Flagyl and wind up with something worse. I would say that you can't tolerate it. Hopefully you will be fine without any further treatment.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”