Using vanco prophylactically with post cdiff infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
CSHF
New User

Using vanco prophylactically with post cdiff infection

Postby CSHF » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm a 48 year old female who was cured of cdiff, 1 year and 8 months ago, with a fecal transplant. I was recently diagnosed with osteomyelitis (in finger), and had a surgical procedure to culture the bacteria and remove the infected part of the bone. I tried not using an antibiotic, but the tissue was infected, pain was unmanageable, and redness was spreading. I then started Cipro with 2x/day oral vanco prescribed to try to prevent cdiff. I had to go off Cipro after 3 days due to diarrhea. Doc told me to stay on Vanco and taper off, but now I'm still having diarrhea. I believe it is associated with the Vanco but is not cdiff. This belief is based on my past experience doing the same. When I tapered from 2x/day prophylactic Vanco to 1x/day Vanco and then none, diarrhea diaappeared.

Does anyone know of studies or recommendations from medical boards, cdc, etc. about using Vanco in this way: with another antibiotic after being diagnosed with infection after cdiff? I've tried searching the forum but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks very much.

Kuro
Contributor

Re: Using vanco prophylactically with post cdiff infection

Postby Kuro » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi there,

Firstly, congrats on being 1 year and 8 months out! That's a great success story in itself.

I'm very sorry that you had complications from your surgery and the Cipro, and I hope that the D subsides soon. You can always get tested if you feel you need to be.

To answer your question, I've seen many posts on the boards about people using Vanco alongside antibiotics or during surgeries where other antibiotics were being used. The hope is that it will prevent CDIFF from recurring, though it's not a guarantee. Definitely sure that I have seen multiple people go that route, though. I have no studies to link to you, unfortunately.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi,
Ask your DR if you can have Vanco iv, this I know will help osteomyelit, but make sure.
Lidia.

CSHF
New User

Postby CSHF » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:17 am

Thx, Kuro and Lidia. I hadn't thought of IV vanco and so that is a helpful reminder in the event I need to go back on something. For now I'm treating with topical gentamicin. In the meantime, since writing yesterday I decreased my dose of vanco from 2x to once/day and this morning I've been doing so much better.

As so many on this site will understand, although I am an active advocate for my own healthcare- which requires educating myself- I have found that researching cdiff treatment options while I'm having difficulties has been anxiety-provoking for me. I haven't wanted to comb through too many articles, posts, etc. out of fear of raising my anxiety. Being able to ask a specific question here has, therefore, been so helpful. Ty.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:22 pm

I had the same situation as you a few years ago. I was put on Levaquin with vanco to prevent recurrence of c difficile and had D the entire time I was on the medication - 10 days and then some. I do not do well on vanco. The next time I needed antibiotics, I did not use vanco and I did not get D or c difficile. As far as researching, you can save yourself the trouble because some doctors recommend taking the vanco along with the other antibiotic and others do not. There are really no guidelines. Vanco never sat well with me and I blame my present GI condition more on that than on the c difficile itself. I increased my intake of probiotics the last times that I was on antibiotics. I did wind up with a positive PCR about 6 weeks later, but D stopped by the time I got test results and I did not need treatment. I still test positive on PCR, but negative on EIA, meaning not an active infection, but rather, colonization.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Many Drs say that Using vanco prophylactically will increase the damage to the gut flora and increase the chance of a c.diff infection once it is stopped.
Others say it's a good option.
As usual no 2 Drs agree!
Hopefully it works for you.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 pm

I agree with Roy that all drs have different opinions. My dr believes that you should start taking a Florastor 2x/day immediately if you suspect antibiotics may be needed and while there is no real proof, that will be the safest way to protect yourself against a c diff recurrence without unwanted other effects.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”