Bactrim + Vanco for inflamed cyst?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Believe
Regular User

Bactrim + Vanco for inflamed cyst?

Postby Believe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

Oh no! I already need to take antibiotics again!

History: I had a very mild case of C.diff in the late winter of this year. It was not due to antibiotics, but after exposure while spending long hours visiting a nursing home. I took one round of Flagyl, but was not sure I had relapsed, so then took one round of Vanco.

I have been doing well for 2 1/2 months. I feel completely restored and back to normal. I was about ready to write in with a success story to inspire hope! Now, I’m scared as hell.

I have a cyst in my side that has become inflamed. Surgeon says I must take Bactrim to kill off infection before he will excise the cyst. I told him my recent experience with C.diff. He wants me to take a combined, prophylactic dose of Vanco along with Bactrim, to hopefully ward off C.diff. (I know for sure I will also take a boatload of probiotics.)

Anybody have experience with combining Bactrim with Vanco, and survived without a relapse so soon in recovery? I’m freaked. Thanks in advance, k

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bactrim + Vanco for inflamed cyst?

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:34 pm

There are several on the board that eventually would need an antibiotic. I took Keflex months after a year of CDIFF ( 5 rounds of treatment) and fortunately it did not return. You will also find others who took antibiotics and it did return. My GI and Urologist at the time felt I should not take Vanco along with it because the Vanco was causing me issues.

Contact the GI who treated you, explain the situation and see what they advise.

I know the terrible fear...hang in there are make sure to get all of your medical opinions

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”