Second Round of Vanco Aggravating C Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
fiver
New User

Second Round of Vanco Aggravating C Diff?

Postby fiver » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who felt a little better then experienced a worsening of symptoms on a new round of vanco. I was hospitalized with c diff colitis in march, did one round of flagyl and currently starting my second vanco taper. Except for continued diarrhea, I feel like I made some progress on the first vanco taper - no pain or gut noises, lower inflammation, gained 5 pounds - but my GI was concerned that the diarrhea persisted. So he started me on another 100 pill vanco taper. I feel like I've regressed since then, with right side pain this morning that reminds me of my colitis scare. Can resetting on a new round of vanco make things worse? Aggravate the C Diff? I feel like maybe I was able to recolonize my gut somewhat with probiotics and now the vanco's bombing it all to heck. If anyone's experienced this, did you halt the second taper? I learned at my last visit that my GI has performed FMT, so that's next step. I'm just not sure I can continue on the vanco unless things chill out. Feels like I've poked a hornet's nest.

Eddie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Second Round of Vanco Aggravating C Diff?

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Yes, it happened to me. The vanco aggravated something - don't think it was c diff, but it depleted me of gut flora and I got IBS type pains. I did have FMT and that helped. You might talk to your doctor about doing that. Have you been tested for other pathogens? Vanco will not work on most other types of GI infections.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”