Strep throat 3 months post cdiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mdwestmm
Brand New Poster

Strep throat 3 months post cdiff

Postby Mdwestmm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I am a 34 yo female a little more than 3 months out from a successful course of vanco for c diff. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with strep throat yesterday and am struggling with whether to take the recommended 5 day course of Zithromax. I seem to be recovering from strep fairly well on my own (sore throat is much improved over yesterday and I never ran a fever) but the doctor insisted I was putting myself at risk for complications from strep by foregoing antibiotics. To me, it seems like the chance of triggering a recurrence of c diff is much greater than the remote risk of strep complications. Also, how likely is it that Zithromax would trigger a relapse? One more factor to consider, I am also breastfeeding and not eager to expose my 9 mo to antibiotics through breastmilk. Any thoughts?
Another note: I have never had strep before in my life, and have no idea where I caught it from... wondering if my immune system is so beat back from fighting c diff that i’ve become more susceptible to these infections. Before c diff, I was so healthy and never caught anything!

roy
Administrator

Re: Strep throat 3 months post cdiff

Postby roy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:10 pm

USA Drs treat strep, UK and most other countries let it run its course.
At best treating it reduces symptoms by around 24 hours and reduces the slim chance of complications if antibiotics are given at the first sign of strep.
If your already recovering the chances are the window of treating (US protocol) is probably passed.
Only you and your Dr can decide but like you say the risk of c.diff might outweigh the benifit.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:43 pm

I would generally share Roy's opinion! If you feel you are having a successful recovery after the Vanco, I wouldn't risk antibiotic for strep, but the decision ultimately has to be between you and your doctor. You could always get a second opinion if you are worried, maybe from urgent care?

I did some looking on your other questions, and the medication list in the CDI section of the boards has Zithromax listed as a middle of the road risk antibiotic - neither the least nor most likely category. Also, Google tells me that it's safe to take while breastfeeding, but that's Google and not a doctor. :) You could probably get a for sure answer on that just with a quick call to the pharmacy.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in an opinion about antibiotics from an urgent-care facility.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”