Relapse or normal recovery?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
tarap
Regular User

Relapse or normal recovery?

Postby tarap » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Hello I finished flagyl on Sunday. Still have diarrhea in the mornings. My dr had me tested again on Tuesday. I still have rough mornings first one is usually normal then right after I eat it’s usually to urgent diarrhea and then evenings I have been fine. Is this normal in recovery? Still has smell some mucus some cramps.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse or normal recovery?

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:54 am

Usually two days after finishing medication is too soon to test as you can have a false negative. It is possible though. If you get a negative test, but your symptoms worsen, tell your doctor. It could still be c difficile. However, normal recovery can have symptoms like you describe as well.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 am

Give it awhile , so soon after the treatment is finished you can have upsetting symptoms , it takes awhile until it gets better. As Beth said , it is pointless to test now as it will not give you any reliable result. If a relapse is imminent then the doctor should treat you according to your symptoms and not make you wait until your test comes out positive. The symptoms of a relapse are :frequent D , fever , abdominal pain , if those are not present you are probably recovering. Are you keeping a bland diet? Have you tried a probiotic ?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:03 am

A test that close to meds is not accurate, it can be positive because of left over c.diff DNA or negative because vegative c.diff has been eliminated but spores (undetectable by any tests) are waiting to become active when the conditions (for them) improve.
Symptoms alone indicate if it's gone.
Many posters had the bad mornings you describe and went on to be "cured" without having to take another round of meds.

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am

It’s hard to tell because it’s only mornings that are bad but they are looser than when I was on meds (sometimes loose on meds too) do you think one week is a good time to test again?! I am not taking a probiotic. I tried florostor a few times but it made my stomach upset. The cramps are hard to tell because it’s the time of month I don’t know what is what.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 am

The guidlines say to NEVER test to see if it's gone.

C.diff is a disease that's diagnosed by symptoms, not a disease just because of a test result.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”