Reinfected by beach or swimming pool?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mookie
New User

Reinfected by beach or swimming pool?

Postby Mookie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:35 pm

My family is planning a beach trip and I’d love to be able to swim and use the hotel swimming pool. I’m 2 months Cdiff free and have not been symptomatic since my treatment. I’m just terrified I’ll get reinfected at the beach or pool. Does anyone know if that’s a possibility? Thank you in advance.

DD454
New User

Re: Reinfected by beach or swimming pool?

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:48 pm

I don't have a ton of experience but I did go in the pool with it once and was fine.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Theoretically, it would be possible, as the mode of transmission is by ingestion of C. diff spores and swimming typically involves at least some intake of water. That said, I think the risk is relatively low.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Going into the ocean should pose no risk for c difficile as far as I know. In a pool, just don't swallow any water or have it go down your nose. My daughter caught an intestinal staff infection in a pool when she was little, but she swallowed water.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:41 am

C.diff is a common bacteria, you can not avoid it.
We all come into contact with it (probably almost daily).
Swimming pools are chlorinated (bleach) so hopefully that kills it.
Many beaches are high risk for all types of bacteria and sewers often empty into the sea so faecal bacteria is common in sea water in some areas.
99.9% of the time your body just deals with it.

To put it into perspective if 4 people are in a car it's almost certain at least one of them will have c.diff bacteria on their shoes (all of them will have millions of other bacteria).
Enjoy your trip, be sensible with hygiene and dont worry about the "what iffs"

Mookie
New User

Postby Mookie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you guys! I’d hate to cancel my little ones first beach trip. I appreciate all of the feedback ❤️

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”