Success Stories??? Just Diagnosed.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
DD454
New User

Success Stories??? Just Diagnosed.

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:10 am

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and have been reading about the illness and everyone's stories. I have to say I think I have freaked myself out and assuming the worse. Can someone please read my journey through this process and give me advice for the future.

So I had surgery back in May, was put on Clindamycin for 14 days, and started having diarrhea symptoms around June 7th. I started feeling sick with flu like symptoms around June 7th, called my surgeon and he prescribed another antibiotic. 2 days into the new antibiotic I started having horrible diarrhea. Now 3 weeks later, I finally got tested. I feel extremely blessed I am not having as horrible symptoms as most have had but am still scared. I tested positive for C Diff and have just started on Flagyl for 10 days 3x a week as well as Florastor. I am starting to have burning sensations throughout my body and have only been on the antibiotic for 2 days. My stools are only once or twice a day and my cramping has been relieved with the antibiotic. And today my stools seem a bit more normal, but they are still yellow.

I am only 20. I need some reassurance. I keep crying hearing the worst and feeling this way. On the bright side, I finally fit into my jeans.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Re: Success Stories??? Just Diagnosed.

Postby AnxiousJ » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Florastor is great and you may consider adding a second probiotic like VSL3. However, ask your doctor. I am sure a moderator will answer you soon but Flagyl (Metroninazole) is a no longer a med used as a first line for C Diff. It has terrible side effects, kills off much more of your good bacteria, and many times it doesn't work. If possible try and see a GI or infectious disease MD who understands C Diff. Ask your doctor about Dificid (which leaves much more of your gut bacteria in tact and is now being used as first line treatment) or Vancomyicin. Those are much better meds at combating this infection. I wish you the best and hope you feel better.

DD454
New User

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Thank you!! I read somewhere that Florastor isn't compatible with Vancomycin, would VSL3 work in replacement of that?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Please dont use the quote feature, it uses up board space and makes posts hard to read.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Florestor is a yeast and is a probiotic that vanco does not kill.
Many people use it during c.diff and recovery.

DD454
New User

Postby DD454 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Sorry about that and thank you, Roy!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”