Depressed will vanco work!?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
tarap
Regular User

Depressed will vanco work!?

Postby tarap » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 pm

So I’ve had good and bad days all through out my treatment with flagyl. I’m on my last day of meds. Should I ask for vanco I know this isn’t done. I had 4 wd just after eating with cramps and urgency. I’m so depressed about this. None of us deserve this. Any advice would help. Will vanco cure this?

Whyme111
Regular User

Re: Depressed will vanco work!?

Postby Whyme111 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi,
I was prescribed Flagyl initially and did great with it.. I actually felt so much better until 3 weeks later and all symptoms came back. I never got D; my symptoms were mucus with some blood but I just knew it was still there! I was right after retesting. My Dr. told me that he should have treated with Vanco first and I was then put on a 14 day treatment. After 1 week I relapsed again! I was so depressed and crying to my Primary Dr. He then put me on Vanco and Flagyl together. During the middle of that treatment I saw my GI and he continued the Vanco and ordered a taper/pulse. I have just started the pulse and am nervous but this site has been very helpful. I will continue the pulse for 8 weeks. I am hopeful but I also know that I have to be disciplined with the probiotics. Are you on probiotics? Also, I do get varying symptoms from day to day. It's so tough and do understand your frustration!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:35 pm

tarap, don't just ask the doctor for vanco; insist on either it or Dificid. Flagyl is no longer the first-line treatment for C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 pm

I tried to take Flagyl that was prescribed for Colitis and it made me so sick that I ended up in the ER with dehydration. I stopped the Flagyl then found out I had a CDI. I was started on 14 days of Vanco and 7 days after I finished I relapsed. I took another 14 days. I was also taking Florastor probiotics and drinking Lifeway kefir. I’m happy to say it’s been 4 weeks with no symptoms. I’ve gained back 2 lbs of the 15 I lost and I’m eating whatever I want with no problems. I’m proof (so far) to hang in there it will get better.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”