New and Scared please help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
tarap
Regular User

New and Scared please help

Postby tarap » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:23 am

Hello I am 32 year old female. I started symptoms 3 days after finishing cephalexin for an infected finger. Symptoms some pain nausea and d. I was tested 5 days after symptoms started and diagnosed 2 days later. I have been taken Flagyl (500mg 3x/day) now for week and will end on the tenth day. I still have some nausea stools are all over the place but have had some formed. Yesterday I had a salad and had wd 5 times after. How do I know if I am better? I am terrified. How do you know the difference between IBS and a current infection? I am so lost and need all the help I can get. I do have to say I have felt better from the first couple days on the meds I now have an appetite. I do though still have fatigue (I always was fatigued before cdiff) and occasionally I get dizzy. Most bad symptoms are in the morning usually. Thank you all for your support!

Side note the urge to RUN to the bathroom and cramps has gone except after eating the salad.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: New and Scared please help

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:37 am

Hello and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc. I’m so sorry you were diagnosed with c-diff. It sounds like the flagyl is working for you. It’s great that you have an appetite, as many cannot tolerate flagyl. I would stay away from leafy greens for a while. It can take some time for your system to heal and leafy greens will definitely send you to the bathroom. Many of us tried to stay bland for a while, and then introduced foods back slowly. You can develop food intolerances from c-diff. As long as you don’t have the profuse, watery D with the urgency to go, you are most likely recovering. I believe that probiotics can aid in curing the infection, arming yourself with good gut bacteria to keep the bad bacteria in check. Live bacteria probiotics will be killed off by meds, so be sure to space them apart. Florastor which is a yeast probiotic called sacchromyces boulardii is a yeast probiotic that isn’t killed by meds. Many of us take sacchromyces boulardii. Some can’t tolerate probiotics, but if you can, it may be worth taking.

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Thank you!

Ncrlsbd
Brand New Poster

Postby Ncrlsbd » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Try 1 MD Complete Probiotics Platinum. Take 2 hours or so after any antibiotics you take. Or if not on antibiotics anymore- first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. No need for any other probiotic. This has it all.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 am

Most of us here are unable to tolerate leafy greens , for some it took years to have a small amount of salad , others never touched it again. Try to eat bland in early recovery , white meats , rice , bananas , potatoes,hard boiled eggs are mostly well tolerated.Stay away from raw fruits and vegetables ,fast food , excess sugar , alcohol.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:55 am

Sorry you had to find us! As Georgina has mentioned, sticking to a bland diet for a while to give the gut time to heal. I found the probiotics helped a great deal not only while on medication and spreading the time apart, but also in recovery.
The two main probiotics we see physicians recommend are either Florester or VSL#3. I still take VSL#3 and will continue to take it. Check with your GI on this.
Hopefully each day you will improve!
NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”