When do I know not to worry about a relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
fishrman
Regular User

When do I know not to worry about a relapse?

Postby fishrman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm

One of my greatest fears is a relapse after all the reading I have done here and elsewhere. Is there a time period that a relapse is most probable after treatment with Vanco? I am trying very hard to eat the "right" things and stay away from dairy etc. I am eating more like a vegan than I have my entire life. They say that is a good thing for gut problems. I am simply trying to do what I can to avoid a relapse as I know between the c. diff and the Vanco, it has done my digestive system no good and can only imagine another round of Vanco treatment would make things that much worse. I am about 40 or so days now past my 10 day treatment of Vanco. I feel like, in my case, the C. diff was brought on by a Proton Inhibitor (Omeprazole)! (If you happen to be on one of those, I would suggest you talk to your Doc about getting off of it! Thanks!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: When do I know not to worry about a relapse?

Postby Ril » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm

I have been on PPIs for about 8 yrs and have been on the strongest one made for 2 and am c diff free for 5 1/2 years. That does not mean everyone should take PPIs, but if needed they sometimes have to be considered for one’s health and don’t absolutely cause c diff although there is some belief that they cause increased risk.

Foods don’t cause or cure c diff. They make you feel better or worse during recovery. You don’t have to be a vegan unless you choose to be for your own reasons. If you do, make sure you are getting enough protein and calcium.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 pm

To address the question in your post subject, well, it's hard to answer. The further out you get from your last dose of antibiotic, the less your chances of spontaneous relapse. I believe I read somewhere that the first two weeks after were the highest risk? I may have that wrong. Anyway. I'm at three months and just starting to feel a little safe in that regard. A lot of people turn the corner at six months, some learn to cope better earlier than that. But the further out you get from meds without an issue, the slimmer the chance.

As Ril said, foods do not cause relapse. They may cause some very unpleasant issues if they don't agree with your gut, but they should be passing ones. I'm trying to accept that not every bad reaction is a relapse sign, myself, and get more foods into my pretty BRAT-heavy diet. Can't take certain IBS meds, unfortunately, and I do have PI-IBS. So, it's a guessing game as to trying new stuff and seeing what works - preferably one at a time so you can better pinpoint issue foods. That doesn't mean they're out forever, just for the time being. Your gut isn't ready yet. Some people, I've read, have been surprised that foods they didn't think would agree did and some they expected to agree did not! :)

Maybe others can post about when they personally started feeling safe from a spontaneous relapse. I'd be curious, too, after recent conversations.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:19 am

I felt the 3 month mark was a big hurdle, but the 6 month mark was when I started to feel relieved. I posted my success story at the one year mark :-)

Just to add: My relapse came two weeks after finishing metronidazole (generic Flagyl). Taking vanco or dificid as the first round of treatment gives you higher odds at beating this thing the first time. In my opinion, dificid should be the first round of treatment as it does not target good bacteria and has a high cure rate. But of course the cost plays into it. I was cured after 14 days of vanco. Although those first couple of months after finishing the vanco were rough. I felt like I was relapsing at times, but I wasn't, as IBS can feel like a relapse. Up and down days (more down days) are very normal in early recovery.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you all for your input!! This helps much! The last few days I seem to have developed more of a problem with Constipation than anything else. Trying to resolve by taking more fiber through Benefiber drinks and, as well, eating more apples and drinking more. Not sure I want to try some of the over the counter meds, at this point. I fear they may help the C. diff get started again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 pm

I think trying to eat more fiber is better than taking OTC meds for constipation. You don't want to swing the other way either. You can try and drink some fruit juices too.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks beth22.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm

I felt exactly like Lisa as far as time frames.

In terms of constipation, I agree too with Beth. OTC meds can be too harsh after c diff when your gut is raw and your system is fighting to get back to a normal balance, so if there are other things you can use it is better. I would try juices like pear or apricot nectar that are high in fiber. And make sure you are consistently drinking plenty of fluids.

Rita

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks Rita. Have been drinking some probiotic juices and eating Fuji Apples along with some plums. Will put pear or apricot nectar on my list now too. Thanks

fishrman
Regular User

Constipation

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Who knew I would be complaining about constipation just a month or so ago! Anyway, other than fruit juices, I am wondering if anyone has tried Apple Cider Vinegar. I have read elsewhere that it could help. I think between the C. Diff and the Vanco, my intestines are really messed up. I have been taking Benefiber and trying to eat vegetables and fruits with very little meat but still having issues with the constipation. Don't want to take over the counter laxatives.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Constipation

Postby AllisS » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:09 am

For what reason would you be considering apple-cider vinegar? Personally, I'd stay away from it; vinegar is nothing if not acidic, and acid is clearly an irritant. I'm aware that it's become what seems to be a faddish "remedy"; however, I've not heard of it as being useful -- or, I should say, thought to be useful -- for promoting regularity.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

fishrman
Regular User

Constipation

Postby fishrman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 am

I agree it seems to be somewhat fadish but have read many places on the net that it is used for constipation. I understand what you are saying though. Wonder if something like Miralax would be better?? This morning, after taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar two times yesterday, I can say I had almost a normal bm.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Your body will normaly do a good job of recovering all on it's own.
Maybe just relax and see if everything resolves in a few days.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:34 am

Try walking and drinking plenty of fluids. I used to eat bran cereal for constipation as well.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks Roy. I think that is good advice too. Also, thanks to Beth. I have been trying to walk at least a couple miles a day. So far, I have steered completely away from cold cereals though. Maybe I should try them again. I used to eat a bowl of something for breakfast and might have another one in the evening. Now, and since C. Diff., I haven't tried a bowl of anything yet. The good news is, I have been pretty much migraine free and wonder if it is because I have cut back on milk drastically?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”