How long before feeling better?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sickintx
Brand New Poster

How long before feeling better?

Postby sickintx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:18 am

Hi, I am a 54F diagnosed with my 2nd round of c diff Friday in the E.R. (first was in 2011). I had a stool test positive and started Vancomycin right away.

It is Sunday morning and for the last 24 hours I have been having D about every 45 minutes. I can't get any sleep, and my heart rate keeps going way up seemingly every time I get dehydrated, although I am hydrating like mad.

This is really scaring me, shouldn't the Vanco start to work soon? I am debating going back to the hospital.

Sorry if I messed up and didn't follow all the rules, I'm new. Thanks.

roy
Administrator

Re: How long before feeling better?

Postby roy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:15 am

If you think your dehydrated go to hospital.
No matter how much you drink it does not replace the fluid you lose with constant D.
MOST of your body's fluid is absorbed in to the body by the colon but C.diff makes that go into reverse and it pumps fluid out.
Vanco should start working within 4 to 5 days but if your that sick you might need IV fluid support.
Call ahead and tell them what you have and you should be seen quicker

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 am

Agree with Roy , you need to get to the hospital as soon as possible and get iv fluids.

sickintx
Brand New Poster

Postby sickintx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Well, I managed to get hydrated enough to get a few hours' sleep and my fever broke during the night. Feeling much better today, although I will go in and ask for fluids if it gets to that point again.

Thanks for your help.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am

What brought on your recurrence? Did you take antibiotics?

sickintx
Brand New Poster

Postby sickintx » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 am

Yes, I had a round of clindamycin for a dental procedure. I thought I would be safe because I doubled up on probiotics the whole time I took it, and I have been taking VSL3 since the first time I had c. diff. Never again!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Clindamycin is possibly the worst antibiotic invented and I don’t understand what dentists continue to feel the need to use such a potent and disastrous med. I got c diff from it ( not from a dentist) and so did many others on this site.

That said, stay hydrated with drinks with electrolytes like sports drinks, vitamin water etc. Regular water is not sufficient. You are losing minerals etc (electrolytes) as well as fluid in your d and that all needs to be replaced.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”