C diff pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
robert
Brand New Poster

C diff pain

Postby robert » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 am

Hi, I am 66 years old, recently diagnosed with c diff. I've done 10 days Vancomycin and now in the process of doing another 14 days. I've only had 1 stool test, ultrasound, CT Scan; all organs are fine. Abdominal pain and pain on right side sometimes horrible. 2014 1 year of antibiotics on a PIC line and oral Cipro. Calcium carbonate chews 100-150 day are the only things that barely work. Not bad in morning but by 3PM horrible pain. I think eating in general makes things worse. Today trying either IBGard or peppermint oil. Any suggestions.

roy
Administrator

Re: C diff pain

Postby roy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:28 am

Do you have the classic watery stool multiple times a day that indicates c.diff overgrowth?
The damage caused by c.diff is a long way from the stomach, about 20 feet away, acid reducers would not have any effect on a c.diff infection.
If you mean your using 100 to 150 of those chews daily your seriously overdosing.
That can cause pain and constipation and serious health problems such as permanent kidney damage.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Maybe it would be a good ideea to get checked for inflamatory bowel disorders as well. IBD causes a lot of intestinal pain.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:31 am

Do you mean that you take 150 mg tablets of calcium carbonate or do you take that many pills? If it is the number of pills, that is very dangerous. I would speak to your doctor about it as Georgina suggested.

robert
Brand New Poster

Postby robert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for the replies. Stopped taking calcium chews. Using IBGard. Primary doc said I would be fine; gastro did not offer me anything for pain (told him not looking for opiates). After CT Scan, gastro said to take stool softener based on radiologist's reference to stool in colon. Almost fired the gastro (probably will). Gastro said I will most likely have IBS for anywhere from 2 months to a year.
I feel all of my problems started when I was prescribed steroid pills and inhalers for a bad cough that I had (allergist). Stopped all steroids and fired the allergist. Research refers to immune system could have been broken down by steroids. Anyone ever hear of this.
I was also taking over the counter nexium, pepcid thinking I had stomach acid and stopped these also. After reading posts from group, I am trying probiatics, amino acid and peppermint oil.

Candy25
New User

Postby Candy25 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 am

roy wrote:
> Do you have the classic watery stool multiple times a day that indicates
> c.diff overgrowth?
> The damage caused by c.diff is a long way from the stomach, about 20 feet
> away, acid reducers would not have any effect on a c.diff infection.
> If you mean your using 100 to 150 of those chews daily your seriously
> overdosing.
> That can cause pain and constipation and serious health problems such as
> permanent kidney damage.

Candy25
New User

Postby Candy25 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 am

Won’t go too deep into my story on this board, but while in hospital drs arvised me not to take tums or antacids and they help the cdiff spores to colonize.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks Candy25. Yes, we are aware of that. There is an article posted in media section somewhere.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”