Kefir konfusion - is milk not good?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Believe
Regular User

Kefir konfusion - is milk not good?

Postby Believe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 am

Hi everyone, I have read a lot of posts that people healing from C.diff swear by consuming Kefir. But I’ve also seen many recommendations to avoid milk and dairy products. I know I’m one who has avoided cow milk and dairy products for many years. I realize the lactose content of kefir is almost nonexistent, but what about the casein protein content? It is impossible to find coconut kefir or such alternative products in my area, which is generally pretty progressive with healthy food options. Does anyone have a good resource for alternative kefir or a trusted recipe? Opinions?

roy
Administrator

Re: Kefir konfusion - is milk not good?

Postby roy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:39 am

If your worried about milk you can order kefir grains online and make your own with almost any liquid base.
Yogurt and kefir seem to be tolerated well though as the fermentation predigests a lot of the lactose.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 am

You can make your own kefir using the grains that Roy suggested with lactose free milk or vegetable milk.

Believe
Regular User

Postby Believe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you kindly Roy and Georgina, I will investigate this.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”