Diet Book??

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
fishrman
Regular User

Diet Book??

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Is there a particular diet book that has worked for you after C. Diff? Trying to stay away from anything that might feed the bad bacteria and encourage the good. Thanks!

CorgiGal
New User

Re: Diet Book??

Postby CorgiGal » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi fishrman, I'm a little over 2 months out from a 10 day course of Flagyl that seems to have done the trick for me (*knock on wood*). I am by no means back to life as normal, but some recipes from a book called "The Hot Detox Plan" have been very useful in keeping PI IBS-like symptoms to a minimum. It wasn't a miracle, but it did help keep down my GI inflammation and most of the foods in their recipes are pre-biotics.

I use their ginger drink (really helps settle my stomach in the morning), sweet potato and cauliflower mash, and a couple of the soup recipes quite regularly.

I see that others have used the low-FODMAPS diet to keep the PI-IBS at bay.

The food that has saved me is oatmeal. I have it every morning, even when I don't feel like eating, with a bit of cinnamon and ginger, and it usually sits well.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:42 pm

CorgiGal wrote:
> Hi fishrman, I'm a little over 2 months out from a 10 day course of Flagyl
> that seems to have done the trick for me (*knock on wood*). I am by no
> means back to life as normal, but some recipes from a book called "The
> Hot Detox Plan" have been very useful in keeping PI IBS-like symptoms
> to a minimum. It wasn't a miracle, but it did help keep down my GI
> inflammation and most of the foods in their recipes are pre-biotics.
>
> I use their ginger drink (really helps settle my stomach in the morning),
> sweet potato and cauliflower mash, and a couple of the soup recipes quite
> regularly.
>
> I see that others have used the low-FODMAPS diet to keep the PI-IBS at bay.
>
>
> The food that has saved me is oatmeal. I have it every morning, even when I
> don't feel like eating, with a bit of cinnamon and ginger, and it usually
> sits well.
You are a month and a half ahead of me! Thanks, that helps! I was looking at some of the Fodmap diets. I was looking at one called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" but when I was reading some of the remarks about the book, one of them said something about they thought it had triggered C. diff., I thought that didn't sound so good!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Please stop using the quote feature.
It makes posts untidy and hard to read.
We also lock threads at 2 pages so repeating uses up the space and means we lock sooner.

fishrman
Regular User

Sorry

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm

I didn't see anything about not quoting the previous poster in " Rules of Posting, Standard Introduction, Testing,Passwords", perhaps I missed it! If we are not to use the "reply with quote" feature-----I suggest it be deleted as an option!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 am

We have asked many times for "quote" to be disabled but being a free to use site and having a voluntary webmaster who also has a very demanding full time job it's not easy to change.

It is mentioned in "the rules" as follows but easily missed.

The boards are categorized. Post in the appropriate forum and stay on topic. Do not repeat the post you are answering

fishrman
Regular User

Sorry

Postby fishrman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 am

For some, referring to the previous post is helpful and done in many forums. We must not lose sight of the many that are suffering and the help and reassurance they need. I, for one, am thankful I found this site.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 am

I highly doubt that the low-FODMAPS diet would trigger C. diff. However, it's an extremely restrictive regimen; almost anything you might normally eat/enjoy eating will be off limits. My suspicion is that it's yet another fad diet that will be disproved over time, though there are some people who think it has helped them.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Everybody recovers differently, and what works for one may not work for another. I dealt with terrible fatigue and flu-like symptoms after c-diff, so based on a recommendation from my doctor, I decided to go gluten free. I ate gluten free for well over a year in recovery. For me, it really helped with my overall immune health and digestive health. Again, that was my experience. I stayed away from sugary treats, along with any alcohol as well. I ate as clean as I could - organic and natural. This is what worked for me.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks! Wondering if anyone has any experience with Dr. Dave Klein. He seems to put allot of information out there and has many books relative to GI tract health. I think, if I am understanding his philosophy, he is strictly vegetarian and it appears he might push a carbohydrate type diet. Just wondering if anyone has followed his teachings and whether or not it helped. I seem to have a little pain or uncomfortable feeling in my left lower abdomen and wonder if anyone else experiences that as well. I had a colonoscopy a year and 1/2 ago or so and not even a polyp was found. My Dad died from colon cancer so I am always concerned about such things. Not worrying is something I have a hard time with! Thanks!

Whisper
Brand New Poster

Postby Whisper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:55 pm

I have eaten Gluten free for years. It helps but does not stop c-diff. although it appears to slow down c-diff syndomes.
I believe might have been brought on by Keflex a month ago, and having to use Proton Pump inhibitors as I have Bile Reflux from no gallbladder, also have gastritis and a hiatial hernia.
Also taking #VSL3 & Gutpro seem to help me from getting worse, but did not stop the C-diff. I also drink apple juice diluted to stay hydrated, and lots of smooth yogurts, oatmeal, toast, & not much milk.

I noticed everytime I ate any meat Chicken well boiled, no fats..I got sicker. The potty was close by then. Although I did not vomit but felt like it at all times, just became more horrible. Then my gastritis & or Acid refux was unforgiveable, acid would not quit even with Proton pump inhibtors, and truly made me worse. Take this as a indication your in a huge amount of isses with C-diff if the Proton Pump inhibtors made you feel worse.

Now on my vanco, just 2nd. Tab today! I woke up from pure exhaustion, as little to no sleep from bad stomach cramps for over 2 weeks or more with C-diff flaring worse daily. Awoke really hungry, sure thankful to feel a hunger feeling.
Hope all get better soon.
I will be caseous as this is my second time with C- diff in 20 years. I was sick for well over 6+ weeks, I was hospitalized, had a colonoscopy , lots of IV’s for 4 days, thankfully my bowels were ok after losing blood. So much vomiting and the diarehha was unstoppable, the worst. C-Diff is horrible, I hope no one ever experience it.
If so please be wise at first symptoms get tested for c-diff. Waiting to long is dangerous.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:18 am

Hello Whisper and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for new posters for more information.

Sorry you are suffering with c difficile again. Hopefully the vanco will help you. It does usually take a few days to kick in. Thank you for sharing your information with us and what has helped you with diet.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:54 am

As far as diet's, it is far better to work on this individually both during CDIFF and post. Changes occurs, medications I used to take with no issues now make me very ill. Each person needs to follow their own path, what works for one may not work for another.

We do say go slow and eat a bland diet during and right after CDIFF to let the gut rest. We have had posters on here who went back to a regular diet with no issues, those were rare cases. Most of us take it slow and easy.

Start small and do what is right for you.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”