New to the site. Worried about cdiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
GR00VY
New User

New to the site. Worried about cdiff

Postby GR00VY » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello all. My info: male, 33, relatively good health.

My story:

I had cdiff 9 years ago. It sucked. I was on heavy antibiotics in the hospital due to a leaky appendix. Developed cdiff. Took the recommended terrible medicine and got over it. Took a solid year or more to be able to eat normal and put the weight I lost back on.

I have taken antibiotics since then for sinus infections, wisdom tooth removal and post surgery. Never had any problems. I always took probiotics with them.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago I had to take cefalexin (not sure of spelling) for a bug bite that got really infected. It was a get more red and and spreading every day so I had very little chose in taking the meds. They got rid of the infection but gave me loose stools. Not flow blown D. I took my probiotics like always and stopped them a few days after antibiotics ended. I had some normal stools initially but then they turned to fluffy loose stools. Stools are broken up in to 1 and 2 inch fluffy segments that break up easily when I flush. 2 days ago I started feeling like cramps and bloated and was very gassy and I started having 2-3 loose stools in the morning only. My stools aren’t too terrible smelling but if you take a quick whiff of the toilet paper after wiping it has a odd almost sweet smell mixed with a petting zoo smell. It is a very nasty smell. I am still gassy, cramped and bloated. I woke up this morning at 4 from stomach pain and passed gas at least 6 times in the next few hours. I also have had zero appetite today due to mild nausea. I am not sure if that is anxiety related though. I was going to start taking “finest care” probiotics again but decided on “shiffs ” prebiotic + probiotic gummies this time to see if that helps. My stomach is gurgling and has a constant mild ache.

I don’t remember much of the initial phases of my previous episode because I was pretty much unconscious for a few days. My mom was there taking care of me at the hospital (surgery for appendicitis went pretty bad).

I went to dr today and got a cup for a stool sample so I will drop one off tomorrow. I am just worried that I have this again. It stinks too because I don’t have a primary dr at all. My wife and kids and I are moving out of state in less than a week. I am hoping it is just a bad bug.

Do my symptoms sound like cdiff? I know I will get answers when I drop off the sample. I am just curious of these sound like csiff, especially the smell.

Side note. I still relatively fine minus the symptoms described. I am hanging with my kids and playing. I am packing boxes and loading up the trailer for the move, etc. The discomfort is there but it is not debilitating.

Thanks for reading.

ETA: I also have been eating terribly the last few weeks because we are constantly driving to our other house out of state moving stuff. It has been a lot of fast food and pizza. More than usual.
Last edited by GR00VY on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: New to the site. Worried about cdiff

Postby roy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Not very c.diff like but its possible you might test positive.
The immune system does fight c.diff and often the symptoms resolve without treatment.
The main thing is to treat the patient and not just the test result.
Probiotics are a might help thing but the important time to take them is AFTER antibiotic treatment and continue for several weeks or even months.
Antibiotics kill the probiotics!

GR00VY
New User

Postby GR00VY » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:13 pm

I hope you right. The plan is to get a sample tested by while I am waiting I will continue to take the probiotics and see if that helps.

It is just one of those things I think a lot of people who have had cdiff have to worry about. Always wondering if the beast is going to come back.

GR00VY
New User

Postby GR00VY » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:08 am

Stool sample is off to lab. Scooping up the waste and putting in the cup was nasty. It had the most toxic smell. It made my eyes burn. I am praying that this comes back clear. I didn’t notice and blood. There was a bit of mucus but not a ton. I think it is normal to have some mucus in your stool. Not sure though

ETA: update on how I am feeling today. I only went once so far today and it didn’t feel urgent but was mushy (kind of looked like peanut butter) and noxious. Stomach cramping is not as bad. Still painful if my stomach is pushed on. Feel tired and a bit nauseous. Have very little appetite. Trying to put food down. You get stuck in these cycles of not eating because you feel nauseous and feeling nauseous because you are not eating. Hope it is just stress.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:12 am

Hello Groovy. Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
Explicit descriptions of stool belong in the TMI section please.

Usually c diff manifests as multiple episodes of watery d for at least 3 days (see 3 days rule). If the dr tells you your test is positive make sure you are positive for toxins and not just the presence of c diff. Because you have had the infection before it is likely you may test positive but unless you have toxins you do not require treatment. A knowledgeable dr would not treat you but sometimes....

Best of luck to you with your health and your move.
Rita

GR00VY
New User

Postby GR00VY » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Cdiff A and B toxin negative. Thank God. Still feeling off so I will need to figure that out but no cdiff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 am

If your symptoms continue, ask the doctor if you can a culture for other pathogens run and even a test for ova and parasites, giardia, etc.

GR00VY
New User

Postby GR00VY » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. If things aren’t clearing up soon I will do that.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”