Got D after taking Colace? Then took Imodium before I knew I shouldn't. Could I have a cdiff reinfection?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ygy
Regular User

Got D after taking Colace? Then took Imodium before I knew I shouldn't. Could I have a cdiff reinfection?

Postby Ygy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 pm

I have been cdiff free for 7 months now. And I one week ago I had my 3rd baby via csection and I was given 1 dose of IV vanco prior to surgery. While in the hospital I cleaned with bleach wipes and brought in my own food, asked staff to wash hands etc. Came home and because of pain meds I got impacted after no BM for 6 days. I cleared the fecal impaction naturally but just to be safe on Monday I took a dose of Colace and on Tuesday morning I took a dose of Colace. Had 2 normal stools that day.

Wednesday morning 3:30- had D

Wednesday morning 7:30- had WD, slight smell, slight nausea, no fever

Wednesday day 2:00- bout of small D

Wednesday at 3:00 I took one dose of Imodium.

No more episodes of D so far just gas and an unsettled stomach. But called and got an order for a stool test just in case.

My questions:

1) Could Colace be causing the diarrhea?? I read it was a side effect

2) Could this be a reinfection?

3) if this is cdiff, now I'm worried that I took Imodium, I wasn't aware I shouldn't. Will this mask the cdiff symptoms??
Or if I'm truly sick will I just keep getting WD??

THANK YOU!

Below is my history.

I'm a 32 yo female. Healthy and fit otherwise. Married with 3 kids. 5 years, 2 years and 1 week old baby.

I'm 7 months post dificid and have been cdiff free. Initially in sept 2017 I was on Macrobid for a UTI and that caused the cdiff infection. It took 6 weeks to diagnose. First was 10 days of vanco, then relapse 2 weeks later, then 6 weeks of vanco and doing well but stools not normal yet. So 4 weeks into the 6 week vanco my ID doctor let me try Dificid for 10 days. Immediately felt better. Still have food sensitivities and have had a few dark days but never another relapse.

I have a few questions:

1) I just delivered my 3rd baby via csection 1 week ago and they used one dose of IV Vancomycin. How possible is it for the vanco to make me relapse??? I've heard it's the only safe antibiotic but then I recently heard that it can still cause cdiff?? I'm so confused!

2) Since I recently had surgery I was on pain meds and got impacted. So I took 2 doses of Colace and a tap water enema (which I think I did wrong anyways). Monday I cleared the impaction.

Tuesday I had 2 regular stools but I woke up this very early this morning and had a bout of diarrhea!!! My stomach was rumbling and I got an intense urge to go and a lot of painful gas.
And I am slightly nauseated.
Can COLACE or an ENEMA cause cdiff???

3) Could I be at more risk of a new infection bc of my hospital stay? I asked everyone to wash hands and glove. I brought my own food. I brought bleach wipes and made bleach cleaner and my husband wiped down the room and bathroom.

Thank you for your advice!

roy
Administrator

Re: Got D after taking Colace? Then took Imodium before I knew I shouldn't. Could I have a cdiff reinfection?

Postby roy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 pm

This is a duplicate post, People have answered in the other thread so I am locking this one.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”