So many questions! Help please

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ygy
Regular User

So many questions! Help please

Postby Ygy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:11 am

I'm a 32 yo female. Healthy and fit otherwise. Married with 3 kids. 5 years, 2 years and 1 week old baby.

I'm 7 months post dificid and have been cdiff free. Initially in sept 2017 I was on Macrobid for a UTI and that caused the cdiff infection. It took 6 weeks to diagnose. First was 10 days of vanco, then relapse 2 weeks later, then 6 weeks of vanco and doing well but stools not normal yet. So 4 weeks into the 6 week vanco my ID doctor let me try Dificid for 10 days. Immediately felt better. Still have food sensitivities and have had a few dark days but never another relapse.

I have a few questions:

1) I just delivered my 3rd baby via csection 1 week ago and they used one dose of IV Vancomycin. How possible is it for the vanco to make me relapse??? I've heard it's the only safe antibiotic but then I recently heard that it can still cause cdiff?? I'm so confused!

2) Since I recently had surgery I was on pain meds and got impacted. So I took 2 doses of Colace and a tap water enema (which I think I did wrong anyways). Monday I cleared the impaction.

Tuesday I had 2 regular stools but I woke up this very early this morning and had a bout of diarrhea!!! My stomach was rumbling and I got an intense urge to go and a lot of painful gas.
And I am slightly nauseated.
Can COLACE or an ENEMA cause cdiff???

3) Could I be at more risk of a new infection bc of my hospital stay? I asked everyone to wash hands and glove. I brought my own food. I brought bleach wipes and made bleach cleaner and my husband wiped down the room and bathroom.

Thank you for your advice!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: So many questions! Help please

Postby AllisS » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am

Congratulations on your new baby!

In answer to your questions: While any antibiotic can cause C. diff, including vanco, it's unlikely that vanco would do so, and also unlikely that a single dose would do so. Neither Colace nor an enema would cause C. diff. Re: hospitalization as a risk factor, it's true that this elevates your chances of contracting C. diff. However, it sounds as though you took every possible precaution. I took similar measures when I was in the hospital a year and a half ago for a hip replacement, though I ate the hospital food (which was surprisingly good). And I didn't get C. diff. Chances are that you'll be fine.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:26 am

UPDATE:

3:30am- 1st soft D episode with urgency, slight smell and nausea

7:30 am-
2nd WD episode with lots of urgency. Stomach rumbling, slight smell and nausea.

My husband think the Colace may be causing this? But it is Wednesday and I took one dose Monday night and one dose Tuesday morning?

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:24 pm

UPDATE:

3:30-D, slight nausea
7:30- WD with nausea
11:00- D , slight nausea

Took an Imodium and praying it helps.

Has anyone had diarrhea with Colace??? It's listed as a side effect

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm

2 doses of colace plus the enema could be overkill. You really have not had a lot of watery d.
Just in case, be careful with the use of Imodium. It holds in c diff toxins so is not used when in doubt of c diff although the symptoms don’t sound like a recurrence and risk factors are minimal.

If you get worse consult with your dr.

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Ril wrote:
> 2 doses of colace plus the enema could be overkill. You really have not had
> a lot of watery d.
> Just in case, be careful with the use of Imodium. It holds in c diff toxins
> so is not used when in doubt of c diff although the symptoms don’t sound
> like a recurrence and risk factors are minimal.
>
> If you get worse consult with your dr.

Now I'm very scared! I took just one dose of Imodium. I haven't had a loose stool since. But could Imodium mask cdiff symptoms?? I thought if you have cdiff then nothing will really help. What should I do? I obviously won't take it again. I called my GI and ID doctor today and I was able to talk with the GI triage nurse. She didn't advise against the Imodium:(. But I never got to talk with the doctor, they just ordered a stool test

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Please dont give blow by blow bathroom reports.

Imodium should not be used if c.diff is suspected, the body naturally reacts to expell toxins and you dont want to stop that reaction.
Any Time you have a bug that causes D it's probably best to just let your body flush it out, its natures cure.
Dont worry too much about taking one dose, its unlikely to cause harm and your symptoms are very mild and not very c.diff like.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Also the expected result of taking a laxative is looser more frequent BMs
After 2 doses of colace and using an enema your lucky your not a contender for the liquid poo olympics!

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 pm

roy wrote:
> Please dont give blow by blow bathroom reports.
>
> Imodium should not be used if c.diff is suspected, the body naturally
> reacts to expell toxins and you dont want to stop that reaction.
> Any Time you have a bug that causes D it's probably best to just let your
> body flush it out, its natures cure.
> Dont worry too much about taking one dose, its unlikely to cause harm and
> your symptoms are very mild and not very c.diff like.

Hi Roy,

I'm sorry I will not do that again. I'm rather new to the site(well I only posted one question about 7 months ago and I rarely visit the page.). I did post another question today and I rechecked the rules and it limits to one question a day. I'm sorry. Please just don't kick me off the site! I really need the info. I promise next time I will double check the rules and be very very careful with decorum :)

Thank you your reply! It helped me have a bit less anxiety and I will hopefully get to speak to my doctors tomorrow as I put in a call request today. I guess I was looking for answers and reassurance immediately when I couldn't speak to my doc, which is why I posted here. But of course I know it's not a medical site, just mainly for support and general questions:)

Have a great night and thanks again!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:07 am

Yoy,
Please read the first forum about the rules of posting. Do not repeat what a poster said when you answer, His/her name is sufficient. Do not post one question after another. Combine several.

You had a baby, you have a weird infection, you have every reason to be upset

You are also young and -I think - otherwise healthy. These are big pluses. Recovery might take awhile so be patient.

Hang in there, Keep us posted, we will give you all the support we can.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”