8 weeks post vanco101pqpmkk

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mdwestmm
Brand New Poster

8 weeks post vanco101pqpmkk

Postby Mdwestmm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 pm

I am a 33 year old who developed c diff 5 months postpartum. I was put on a 10 day course of clindamycin for mastitis. 10 days after finishing the course of antibiotics, I developed a high fever, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms. I was diagnosed within 5 days of the onset of symptoms, and was put on aq

Mdwestmm
Brand New Poster

Re: 8 weeks post vanco

Postby Mdwestmm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:37 pm

(Keyboard glitched) 10 day course of vanco, which cleared my symptoms.
After 2 months of intermittent weakness and stomach pain that has slowly gone away, I developed D once today with no apparent cause. It has been a full 8 weeks since ending abx, and I was thinking finally I was in the clear. I am really worried. The thought of going through this again, especially while caring for the baby and another child besides, is just too much for me. How worried should I be? Can people really relapse 8 weeks out when everything was going so well?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: 8 weeks post vanco

Postby AllisS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 am

Hi Mdwestmm, welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please read our guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page.

It's too bad that a doctor put you on clindamycin, as it's the top-offending drug for C. diff (it caused my own episode, in 2012) and is still prescribed much too liberally when less risky antibiotics could suffice. (Though any antibiotic can cause C. diff.) I hope you'll to to the FDA website and fill out an Adverse Event Form about your experience with clindamycin; use the link at the end of my post to do so.

I don't think that a single episode of D, or even a couple of days of D, mean that C. diff has returned. D can occur for a whole host of reasons, the majority of them not being C. diff. The hallmark symptom of C. diff is profuse, watery D, occurring over a period of at least three days. Try eating a bland diet for a day or two and see if the D subsides.

Meanwhile, congratulations on the new baby!

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 8 weeks post vanco101pqpmkk

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 am

Another welcome to the site. If the D continues, I would contact your GI and ask to be re-tested. I relapsed even further out than that, so it is possible, although it is not that likely. It is also possible that you have another pathogen, viral or bacterial. Try the bland diet as Allison suggested and see if your symptoms improve.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”