It’s Baaaack

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Meshell
New User

It’s Baaaack

Postby Meshell » Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 am

Recently went off month of IV meds (not cdiff friendly) and Vanco prophalactically. IV meds stopped 2 weeks ago, Vanco stopped 6 days ago. Started with CDIFF smell once off vanco, then no symptoms until 5th day, yesterday...Partially formed stools 7x becoming increasingly less formed until went to watery 4x in the evening once throughout the night now 4x this morning with a mix of watery and partially formed.

I had a standing order so took a sample in yesterday late afternoon. Won’t get picked up for quest until 3:30pm this afternoon. I suspect only being off Vanco 6 days will interfere with results. Test was for Toxin A + B.

I’m not in pain just the cramping w/D, no nausea, no fever, not tachy. This will be my 1st relapse, if that’s what it is. I know to drink tons of fluids but should I avoid eating today so that the D slows down? Also have a full bottle of Vanco, tempted to start them now as I suspect the lab result will not be accurate.

I also hear so much about post infectious IBS. I’m torn here. Emailed my GI doc, (he’s great about email) will also call the office when it opens.

roy
Administrator

Re: It’s Baaaack

Postby roy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Don't forget that only 1 in 5 cases of antibiotic associated D is caused by c.diff.
It's the toxin that causes symptoms and the test you mention looks for the toxin.
If it's negative it should be accurate.
Self treating is not advised.

Meshell
New User

Postby Meshell » Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Roy. I heard back from the GI and he referred me to the SERES study that his office is participating in. I was ineligible as I had to be on my 3rd Episode and this will (thankfully) only be my 2nd flare (if that's actually what it is). Emailed him back to let him know I was ineligible and waiting for further direction. Labs won't be back until tomorrow. No nausea, loss of appetite, and even after several small meals No D for three hours. Hoping this continues!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:59 am

Hopefully, it is just your body adjusting to being off meds. Try to eat a bland diet regardless of the test results to let your intestines heal. Vanco used to upset my GI tract.

Meshell
New User

Postby Meshell » Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 am

After a long wait, labs came back negative for toxin a&b. Very happy to hear this. Still going to continue the florastor 4x daily and 1 packet of enteragam. I’m suspecting this is the post infectious IBS flare that everyone talks about. Never had these problems before cdiff. Thanks again for this site and your responses.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 pm

I am so glad to hear that it was negative!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”