New to C Diff. Scared, disoriented, worried.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Verdeluz
Brand New Poster

New to C Diff. Scared, disoriented, worried.

Postby Verdeluz » Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Hello. I am 40 and was diagnosed with c diff on 5/18 after a culture. The day before mother’s day I started having cramping. I went to the restroom I did not have D at the time. 40 mins went by and the pain was unbearable. I went to the ER where I was diagnosed with enteritis.

Monday and Tuesday that followed the D started and vomiting. I called a GI Doc and they had me come in weds. She also agreed I had entiritis, but did request a culture. Friday may 18 she called and said it was c diff. I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection and that seems to be the culprit.

She prescribed Melandrozoline? Started it the same day. Started feeling headaches keeping me up. Nausea and gradually the nausea progressed to vomiting every 2 mins. I called her Sunday and told her I couldn’t take that medicine. She said I could use dicifil.

I stopped the Melan yesterday at 10pm and started Dificil today at 2pm. The extreme vomiting has ceased. I forgot to say I had nausea meds and I was still vomiting. I still have a headache. My stomach is very very tender. I’m so scared I was supposed to return to work today. They have given me until Friday to return. I still can’t eat and I’m drinking little sips little by little. I think I have kept 2 oz today.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: New to C Diff. Scared, disoriented, worried.

Postby Lid49 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Deficid will help, please eat bland diet, rice, crackers, sup, and drink a lot of liquid.
I hope you will feel better.
Lidia

Verdeluz
Brand New Poster

Postby Verdeluz » Mon May 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Have you taken dificil? I don’t know anyone who’s had this that I can talk to.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like you started Dificid which is the name here in the US. I took Dificid and did well on it, I also had vomiting with CDIFF but had it many months.
Hopefully when you finish this treatment you will start feeling well. Remember to stick with a bland diet and add new foods slowly. I also continue to take a probiotic. Many take Florester.
Give the medication time to work, hope you feel better soon
NanciT

13kwoods
New User

Postby 13kwoods » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi - I took the flagyl and it was absolutely horrible. I end up with neuropathy in my left hand which has gotten better the further back CDiff is in the rear view mirror.
Strange effects like an itchy scalp, headaches with tingling in my hands, feet, and and head that I thought all appendages would pop off, surely!
Yes, vomitting and sweating that left my bed and clothes soaked then chills that left me a shaking mess. But to be honest, I was vomiting and running a fever with CDiff, plus all the poo that looked like saw dust and the smell :-( And my heart rate was ridiculous. Resting heart rate would be over 100 BPM. With doing absolutely nothing. Between CDiff and flagyl, it was a rough 3 months.

I did not have dificid but hearing others talk, the side effects are much less extreme than flagyl.

Do take probiotics to help with your bowel movements and start feeding the good bacteria with prebiotics. I've been eating dandelion greens and blueberries, but there's a whole host of prebiotics to choose from.
If you can handle vitamins now, start taking Vitamin C, Zinc, and Magnesium to help get your immunity going again. I have recently added a thymus supplement to help in building my immunity up.
With regards to food, drinking or eating probiotics should be done gradually as they are high in histamines and a histamine overload is possible with your immunity being compromised. (think fermented foods like kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh - all of these are great probiotics but high in histamines so take it slow)
I ate baby foods that were low or had no histamine (low or no histamines are: apples, blueberries, sweet potatoes, oats, carrots, etc.)
I've graduated into raw veggies after being on boiled veggies for a couple of months.
I only eat meat (salmon only for now) 2 times a month for now. Meat takes a while for your body to break down and our bacteria and digestive enzymes aren't what they were prior to CDiff. Breaking down complex proteins take a healthy body time to perform. So our battle bruised bodies need to be handled with care.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
These support groups really helped me a LOT!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”