New to C Diff and haven't had antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Misha
New User

New to C Diff and haven't had antibiotics

Postby Misha » Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 am

Hello all,

I am a 28 year old male and was diagnosed with C. Diff about 10 days ago after a visit to the ER with stomach pains and bouts of bad loose stools.

I haven't taken any antibiotics in over 10 years, and am curious as to how I could have contracted the infection. I am otherwise somewhat healthy, although I work with pigs.

My biggest questions are; Can I beat this infection without any antibiotics at all? (I was prescribed Flagyl in the ER but I'm a researcher with new meds and saw the horror stories) Has anyone been able to beat it with at home remedies?

roy
Administrator

Re: New to C Diff and haven't had antibiotics

Postby roy » Sun May 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Around 25% of people working in close contact with pigs would test positive!
Your exposed to c.diff every day without it causing harm.
Very few of those testing positive will ever need treating because in them it's normal gut flora.
It must be one of the worst jobs for picking up all sorts of bacteria but one of the best for boosting immunity!
It could easily be something else causing your symptoms and you just happen to be a carrier because of your job.

Flagyl is NOT the recommended treatment for c.diff so if your symptoms don't improve without treatment ask your Dr to check the latest guidlines.
In your situation Flagyl might even make it worse because it kills a lot of the good flora and leaves you open to a new infection.
Don't ignore severe symptoms but c.diff can go away on its own.
Even in c.diff caused by antibiotics around 20% will be cured by simply stopping the offending antibiotic and allowing the immune system to do it's job.
That's assuming a Dr does not throw antibiotics at it just because of the test result and put his patient into a relapsing cycle.

Misha
New User

Postby Misha » Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Thank you Roy. I kind of figured I picked up the "positive" test from the barn, although my daughter was sick a few days before I got sick. I have some D, but not more than two or three times a day at this point and sometimes it's completely normal (for me). I am, however, still having stomach cramps and loss of appetite. I've lost 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks, though I've never had a fever. I just want to make sure I go about this right so I can get healthy again without freaking out about infection!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:42 pm

I did get over c diff the first time I had symptoms without antibiotics, but the following year I took an antibiotic and the symptoms came back. Despite that, I wish that I had tried probiotics alone first. I was not given Flagyl, but vanco and it set me on a pattern of relapse after relapse. If you are not currently taking probiotics, you could try that first or drinking kefir, which helps as well. If your symptoms get worse, then speak to your doctor about giving you either vancomycin or Dificid. Dificid is the newer drug and targets c difficile specifically and kills the least other bacteria. It is quite expensive, but some insurance companies do cover it.

Misha
New User

Postby Misha » Sun May 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you for the response. I have started drinking about 16 ounces of Kefir starting the day before yesterday but haven't really had any differences yet. I was thinking of trying the S. Boularddi next, would that be a good idea? Or should I try something like Florastor before that?

Update: just to add to this, I do not have medical insurance as I started a new job not long ago. So, Vanco and Difficid are next to impossible for me to obtain without going bankrupt, especially Difficid being over $3,000 without insurance (insanity!).

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun May 20, 2018 2:29 pm

If you ask your Dr for liquid vanco thats compounded from the powder in the vials that are used for IV it's around $100 for a 2 week course, it's the same med as the pills!

It's probable you have the same bug that your daughter had so think carefully before starting down the antibiotic route!
If symptoms worsen considerably you might have to treat but your immune system is designed to cope with most infections.
Florestor and S.boulardi are the same thing.
It might help but I would give it another few days before introducing anything new, get used to the kefir first and see if your gut tolerates it.
Your symptoms are not "classic" c.diff so it might settle down!

Misha
New User

Postby Misha » Sun May 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Ok, I will keep that in mind. Thank you! I'm more concerned of the small stomach pains and loss of appetite for the last 10 days or so with little improvement. Hopefully the Kefir works.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Dificid has a patient assistance program. Some people have gotten it with no cost if they did not have insurance, but as Roy said, your own immune system may take care of things.

Misha
New User

Postby Misha » Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 pm

That's good to know. I have 2 months before I get insurance so I need all the help I can get. Does anyone know how long it takes before Kefir might start to make me feel better?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun May 20, 2018 9:24 pm

S. boulardii is great as long as it is well tolerated. Most people have no problem with it but anything is possible so make sure it is not too much along with the kefir. Nothing bothered me.

Just watch that you don’t start having change in kind of stool or frequency ie increase in frequency of watery d.

And make sure to stay hydrated with liquids fortified with electrolytes.

Rita

Misha
New User

Postby Misha » Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Thank you Rita. Along with the Kefir, I drink Body Armor sports drinks as well as water and Sprite.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”