Cdiff smell no other symptoms

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Meshell
New User

Cdiff smell no other symptoms

Postby Meshell » Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 pm

I have recently went off a 1 month course of IV meds (invanz). Within a day of stopping this med (which is a known cdiff contributor) I started noticing the classic cdiff smell. I was still on vanco prophylactically at this time. The smell has not gone away and I am now off vanco. Currently using 4 Florastor, 1 enteragam packet, 8oz kefir, 1/2 cap of VSL-3.

I did have one day of Nausea and mild fever for one day before I went off Vanco. But two days off Vanco I have been feeling normal with 1 BM a day about 5 on Bristol scale and maybe even a bit on the constpated side.

But the cdiff smell is totally back. Do you think I am masking symptoms with all my supplements? Or am I actually treating them? I don’t want the toxins to build up. But I’m assuming I would be feeling by more ill if that were the case.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff smell no other symptoms

Postby AllisS » Sat May 19, 2018 12:20 am

I can't hazard a guess as to why the "classic smell" would be present without other C. diff symptoms; you should ask your doctor that question. However, you're taking a massive amount of probiotics, especially the Florastor. (None of the four that you mentioned are supplements.) Probiotics cause GI symptoms in many people. Toxins are not going to "build up" if you cut back. Also ask your doctor to suggest which probiotics to take and in what amounts.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:22 am

The smell you describe can be from malabsorption or just an imbalance of gut bacteria. I had it when I was on vanco before. I took Xifaxan as a chaser to the vanco and the smell went away. Doctor said it happens and it did not mean c difficile. Talk to your doctor about it and also about the probiotics as Allison suggested.

Meshell
New User

Postby Meshell » Sat May 19, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks all! I will get a message into my GI doc straight away on Monday.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”