Possible need for anti biotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbo112
Contributor

Possible need for anti biotics

Postby Bobbo112 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Hey guys. Just made it past the two month mark. I made a post a couple weeks ago about having sinus issues, but that one passed naturally.

But now with pollen season about I’m having a real tough time. More tough than usual. Does anyone here with bad seasonal allergies get clogged ears? These have been consistent for two days now, and I’m not quite in “needs anti biotic” routes. But in all the years I’ve had allergies I never really remember my ears being affected like this. I have pressure in my face behind the eyes as well, as well as a hard time getting a deep breath at night while lying down.

I plan on seeing an ent next week, and I will wait the appropriate amount of time before I even think about using anti biotics. But at the same time I’m pretty scared. Can’t tell if it’s sinuses or allergies because my phlegm is clear, my nose is dry but not stuffy. Barely even sneezing or coughing. It’s basically the ears what I’m worried most about.

Damn I’ve been doing good these last couple weeks.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible need for anti biotics

Postby AllisS » Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 am

ENT must be the one to diagnose the cause of your symptoms. However, antibiotics would not (at least, should not) be prescribed for allergies. Clogged ears might be allergy-related. But absent severe pain in ears, it doesn't sound like an ear infection, which would be the only ear indication that I'm aware of for antibiotic use. In sinus infection, mucus isn't generally clear. Again, these are all questions for your ENT. This being a support site, not a medical site, we can't diagnose.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 am

Thank you for the reply.

I have a hunch this another side effect of levaquin popping up. There’s no pain in my ears they just feel clogged. Kinda hard to hear. If I’m out somewhere that there’s music playing, the bass kinda is more intense but not really pain. Just makes my sinus headache a bit worse. I completely understand that you guys can’t give me a diagnosis, just looking to see if there’s anyone out there that felt something similar and avoided anti biotics. Give me hope or something. Haha. But again, thanks.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am

Antibiotics are a life saving medication, not a cure all for life's off days or allergy related symptoms!
If someone rushes to a Dr with every minor symptom they have the Dr often "gives them something" because that's what they expect.
Then they have to take the consequences of the side effects of what after all is a chemical being put into their system.

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I’m definitely going for more of a diagnosis more than anything. I’m gonna make it clear that I don’t want any antibiotics unless my life pretty much depends on it. I should also add that while I’m not currently having any nausea, vomiting, d, I am experiencing a loss of appetite gastro wise.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:03 pm

I have allergies and when I have clogged ears, my ENT advised me to take an antihistamine. It usually unclogs the ears pretty well. See what your doctor tells you.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”