Please help...so so scared

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amb66
New User

Please help...so so scared

Postby Amb66 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 am

Hi everyone, I’m back (23 yo female). 2 weeks ago I tested negative for cdiff after finishing a vanco taper over a month before so I just assumed I had a bad virus that was sticking around and hitting me hard. Well it’s been 2.5 weeks and I’m still running to the bathroom 15x a day. Sometimes it’s literally just gas and I’m done but I thought I’d be feeling better by now. Is it possible/likely to get a false negative? I just don’t know what to do, I don’t feel awful like I do with cdiff it’s just the constant running to the bathroom with inconsistent stools (some good, some D) that is scaring me so much. I know I’m underweight and as long as there’s D I fear I’m not gaining weight. Please please any help is greatly appreciated. I feel so alone and depressed and just don’t know what to do.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Please help...so so scared

Postby Machaon » Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Amb, sorry you are still having problems!

Well... what do we know about C-diff? We know that the infection can cause damage to one's colon (colitis, IBS), which can then effect digestion and cause potty problems.

Your C-diff test was negative and, although you are having nasty symptoms, you don't seem to be having the typical C-diff diarrhea (multiple daily watery diarrhea), IMHO.

What to do? You could decide to treat your condition as one of colitis and/or IBS and modify your diet and add probiotics, prebiotics and digestive enzymes. You could also seek medical help for colitis and/or IBS. At the same time, you might watch for worsening symptoms of C-diff and if you experience them, then get more medical help for C-diff.

As far as diet, probiotics, prebiotics and digestive enzymes, the members of this helpful site know a lot more about them than I do.

Regards, best of luck and health! Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm

You should absolutely report your symptoms to your doctor and ask if you should be retested.
Sadly, your symptoms could just be post infectious IBS and food intolerances that you have developed, which can happen to people unfortunately.
But also, testing negative doesn’t really mean anything.
It means you don’t have an active infection right when you do the test.
I relapsed two weeks after a pcr negative test.
You can still be carrying toxigenic c Diff but not register as a positive pcr test.
Also you can be pcr positive but not have an active infection, so this is why they also test for toxins.
And I know this is so scary. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
You are not alone here... c Diff is the roughest ordeal I have ever been through! - Melanie

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi, call you're Dr for testing and please go back to safe bland diet, if you take probiotic that also can give gas,
Lidia.

Amb66
New User

Postby Amb66 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:50 am

Thank you all so much for your replies. I’ve been taking Florastor for like 4 months now and haven’t changed that. One thing I am curious about is is there a significant difference between D and WD? I have D throughout the day but never WD like when I had cdiff. Thanks for the help and support

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi, it seems everyone is different. For me I had classic c Diff symptoms with yellowish WD 15+ times a day once I had full onset which happened over a 12 hour or so period of time with my relapses. First time took a few days to develop WD.
For most people c Diff is progressive. If you keep getting a little better, then worse and back and forth that isn’t typical c Diff.
But... in recent months on here I have read posts by several posters who do not have classic symptoms.
It’s very confusing.
Does your D respond to pepto or immodium? If so... not likely c Diff. My D with c Diff did not stop no matter what. If it’s IBS, immodium will shut down the spasming and you will have radical improvement.
Please know that any anti diarrheal is contraindicated with suspected c Diff infection though. Your body needs to expel the toxins.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Imodium is dangerous as it traps in toxins.
If you suspect you have c.diff do not use it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat May 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Running to the bathroom with spasms, gas and loose stools but not watery d may well be IBS. It can take quite a while to start gaining weight back. That is not alarming.
If you are concerned and uncomfortable you should call your dr and describe your symptoms. He may want to prescribe an antispasmodic. There are several and many of us have taken them to help with symptoms of PI IBS.

As Roy said do not take Imodium until you speak with your dr and he assures you it is not c diff and you may use it.

Rita

Amb66
New User

Postby Amb66 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you all so so much for your replies. I’m feeling better about figuring things out. I’ll call my doctor tomorrow morning and see what he says. Keep you updated

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”