PCR Sample Question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Kuro
Contributor

PCR Sample Question

Postby Kuro » Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am

Hi all,

Quick question, please!

I am on a nocturnal schedule, which means that I am just getting up when Quest Labs normally closes. That's a problem for dropping off any samples. I am doing a retest for my own reassurance due to some recent things and already have the kit.

My question: if the sample has to sit for some time (someone will take it for me later in the day), do you put it in the fridge or the freezer? Also, does this degrade the sample so that you could get a false negative on Toxin B?

Thanks!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: PCR Sample Question

Postby AllisS » Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am

Hard to tell if a retest is really necessary since you don't specify the reasons. That aside, samples should be refrigerated (though not beyond 24 hours); they should not be put in the freezer.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 am

Allis,

Without trying to get too much into TMI territory, I have continued to have difficulties with some digestion/weight loss on what is now my 32nd day out from my last dose of Vanco (first course). That's one reason. I've tested negative once in the course of all this, but that one was as part of being in the ER.

The other thing which prompted it was a BM which bothered me somewhat last night. It was not WD (but I've never had that, like some others here), but the pieces were loose/wet and had what I assume was M on them. Assume because some of it was oddly intact looking, like lining. Wugh! Unlikely, I know, but anxiety does that. As well, there was a kind of burning when I passed it, and a bit of an odd smell. It added up to rattling my nerves, plus the issues above. It may be jumping the gun out of fear, but I want to be ahead of the curve when dealing with multiple health issues.

It may be nothing but PI-IBS, but I think I should err on the side of caution this early out. I also live with my parents and my mom is hypervigilant about returning to mega-cleaning mode if there's a sign of infection. A negative would help her relax, too. (Edited down to further avoid TMI)
Last edited by Kuro on Wed May 16, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 am

If I were you, I would call Quest and ask. I think refrigerating is what they tell you, but I remember posters saying that they froze samples. It might be that different labs have different protocols.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 am

C.diff is a set of symptoms, not a test result!
If you have 100 positive tests but do not have watery diarrhoea at least 3 times a day you do not have c.diff colitis!
That's not my opinion it's a medical fact!

If your test is positive a Dr MUST look at your lack of symptoms.
Treating damages the gut flora and can cause asymptomatic c.diff to become colitis, and each round of meds doubles the chance of it becoming a relapsing disease.
Do not test or treat if your only aim is to prove it's gone.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 am

Roy,

I never had pouring WD with my diagnosis, and I know I am not the only one on this board who has been in that situation. I tested positive for C Diff with Toxin B, the only positive out of a slew of things tested for.

The aim was to determine whether the symptoms I described were a sign of relapse or not, and admittedly, to also verify the negative test at the ER taken back late last month. I'm sure you can understand why both I and my family may need that reassurance.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 am

c.diff is a normal gut inhabitant, a positive test result does not mean you have a disease.
An experienced Dr would know that if there's no diarrhoea there's no disease.
This is a support site not a medical site and we can't diagnose by internet, but it's almost certain that all the posters who say they have an initial infection with c.diff or a relapse just because of a positive test without diarrhoea are victims of Drs that have not followed the strict testing guidlines.
The guidlines are to protect us from being treated/diagnosed because of normal and harmless asymptomatic carriage.

A Drs quote.
Peter Salgo, MD: 
This goes back to what you were discussing—clinical guidelines. Somebody’s got to have a high end of suspicion. It might be C. diff. Then, you go look for it. If they don’t have diarrhea, and if they don’t have anything else, and you get back a C. diff, it’s not C. diff

Source
http://www.mdmag.com/peer-exchange/best ... -infection

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 am

I was much like Beth's case, from having read back on her posts. I did not have WD, I had soft stools with M and a foul odor at the time. It came back as C Diff with the appropriate toxins. I don't see how that could have led to an incorrect diagnosis and treatment, particularly when it coincided with otherwise fairly appropriate symptoms. I certainly didn't will 40lbs off of my body (admittedly overweight at the start, but still), among other troubles.

This GI does not seem like a slouch. As I said, he didn't half-*** the process. He tested for everything, and C Diff with the toxins was the only positive. When I was on Vanco, I was better. When off, I've obviously had a rough time of it.

I mean no disrespect, but to throw the possibility of total misdiagnosis and mistreatment into an already anxious person's head is ... well, frightening to such a person.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Wed May 16, 2018 11:48 am

I just tested about three weeks ago for several things. Two samples were in some type of liquid and we're to be at room temp. The c diff I was directly told by Quest when they gave it to me to keep it frozen.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”