Disinfecting and when to relax

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Gaconch
New User

Disinfecting and when to relax

Postby Gaconch » Tue May 15, 2018 10:26 pm

At what point of recovery can I stop freaking out and stop bleaching everything? I have been bleaching the bathroom after using it. At what point should I feel safe? My dr will not retest, she only goes by symptoms.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Disinfecting and when to relax

Postby AllisS » Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 am

You can stop bleaching everything "yesterday." It's not necessary to carry out tedious sanitizing procedures, other than on items/surfaces that may have actually been soiled. Not sure what you've been bleaching, but in general, if you continue to follow thorough hand-washing procedures the chances of your transmitting C. diff to someone else are very slim. Unfortunately one is never assured of total safety from reinfection with C. diff -- but were that to happen, the culprit won't have been failure to keep bleaching everything.

Your doctor is correct to go by symptoms vs. test results.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 am

In hospital contact precautions are relaxed 48 hours after D stops and a "normal" BM is produced.
Normal cleaning in the home should include occasional use of bleach products even if you never heard of c.diff.

The meticulous daily sanitation you read about applies more to hospitals where c.diff can spread quickly because the inmates are already sick and often taking antibiotics, not to family homes.

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 am

I’ve been bleaching the toilet and shower after use. I know that bleach is the only thing that will kill the spores and they live a very long time on hard surfaces. I’m trying to protect myself from relapse.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 am

Do whatever your comfortable with.
Remember though that the spores have to get into your mouth to reinfect you.
If you wash them off your hands they are not a problem.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

Gaconch: Hi! I was finally cured of C-diff on Sept 12, 2017 after six long month's of misery.

I can't use bleach or most other chemicals because of extremely sensitive allergies/asthma. My wife and I became hand washing maniacs, constantly washing our hands, especially prior to eating or preparing foods. We washed my soiled undies in boiling water, and cleaned the toilet wearing vinyl gloves. Other than that, we lived our "normal" lives, and continue to wash our hands at suitable times.

Not saying our C-diff regimen would be good for other C-diff sufferers, but we managed to win the battle over C-diff (for now) without bleach.

Regards, and best wished, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”