New Diagnosis, Can't Eat, Heavy Pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Eric H
Brand New Poster

New Diagnosis, Can't Eat, Heavy Pain

Postby Eric H » Fri May 11, 2018 2:08 am

Hi All: I am new to this group. I am a 51 year old male. Diagnosed with Crohn's, Diabetes and recurring Acute Pancreatitis. I was diagnosed with C-Diff about a month ago and prescribed Flagyl. At that time, I had bloating, cramps and diarrhea. The symptoms were much milder and cleared up rather quickly.

Last Wednesday, I went to the ER for extreme gut pain and spent four days in the hospital being treated for acute pancreatitis. Treatment consisted of IV fluids, pain management and no intake by mouth.

Since then, I have continued to have very bad abdominal pain. After discharge, I had constant watery stool and was diagnosed for a second time with C-Diff. I was started on another round of Flagyl. Due to ongoing pain, it has been very difficult to eat. I am staying hydrated though. All bowel movements have now stopped. I feel like I am going to die! I am also supposed to return to work on Monday and do not see that as a reality.

1. What is a reasonable time to expect to begin to feel some relief?

2. Should I ask my doctor for another medication?

I just don't know what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

roy
Administrator

Re: New Diagnosis, Can't Eat, Heavy Pain

Postby roy » Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 am

Ask your Dr to review the latest treatment guidlines.
Flagyl is no longer recommended as the treatment for c.diff.
Ask for vanco or Dificid.
Considering your recent health history it's not unreasonable to suspect its not only c.diff that's causing your ongoing pain.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 am

Hello Eric H - Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum on rules of posting, standard intro, etc. So sorry you are dealing with c-diff on top of all of the other issues. In addition to what Roy said, I would contact your doctor and tell him or her that your BMs have stopped. I am not sure exactly what you meant by that, but if you are not going at all now, that needs to be checked out. For now to try to eliminate some of the pain, maybe try a heating pad. But, I think you need to see your doctor and voice your concerns, especially if you are not even going to the bathroom anymore.

Feel better.
Lisa

Eric H
Brand New Poster

Postby Eric H » Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks to both who have responded. I saw my primary care physician today. He thinks that I have three things going on, Pancreatitits, Crohn's and C-Diff. My GI doc agrees that Flagyl is no longer a first-line treatment and prescribed Vanco. He is aware of the article supporting Vanco as a first-line treatment.

After hassling with insurance, I was able to take my first dose today. The plan for now is to take the Vanco, use pain releivers and continue to push fluids. I will follow up with both my regular and GI docs in about a week.

I have resigned to the fact that this is going to take some time and I am going to miss more work. I am a person who likes to stay busy taking care of business at work or tasks at home. It is hard to lose one's ability to be a "doer" and sit around for most of the day doing very little or nothing. Hopefully, with time, I will be able to pick up the slack.

I appreciate this board and your input. I don't feel so alone.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:45 am

I got pancreatitis with one of my relapses. Not sure how it is connected, but I have elevated enzymes often still. Your pain sounds like it is from the pancreatitis more than the c dificile, so hopefully that will subside soon with pain management and diet. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”