Understanding Test Results

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
RB80
Brand New Poster

Understanding Test Results

Postby RB80 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm having trouble understanding my test results. I went to the ER while on vacation in Florida because diarrhea was getting bad. They diagnosed me with C-DIff. Here was my test results

Feces C difficile Ag.
POSITIVE (Abnormal)

Feces C difficile Toxin EIA
NEGATIVE

Feces C difficile tcdB Gene PCR
POSITIVE (Abnormal)

They prescribed 10 day 500mg Flagyl, when I got back home and went to my GI doc. They prescribed me 10 Day Vanco 4x a day and sent me in for another stool test. That stool test came back negative for all 3.

Is this possible? I would've figured that I would at least still be Antigen positive for C-Diff even if the antibiotics killed the active toxins. My stool has been more normal as of the past few days but I'm still getting those terrible cramps in my lower right stomach.

Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Understanding Test Results

Postby beth22 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:33 pm

A positive PCR with a negative EIA is considered a negative test usually. I have been testing that way for almost two years, but without D. After finishing vanco, you would generally test negative for all 3 tests, so that is not unusual. Were you ever tested for anything else besides c difficile with a stool culture for other pathogens?

RB80
Brand New Poster

Postby RB80 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:52 am

Hi!

yes i was tested for other pathogens and was clear of them all. The doctor at the hospital in florida where I had the + PCR explained that since I was having active D for several days, that the + antigen - Toxin + PCR meant that It was an active infection. Now that I'm clear of them all my stools have been pretty normal, but I still get these horrible cramps in my lower right stomach after BM's. Is it possible that my colon is just really inflamed from the infection and will just likely take a long time to recover from? I have a follow up appointment with my GI in 1 month. I'm guessing they'll want to test my stool again then. thanks for your help!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Drs are not supposed to test to see if its gone, that results in overtreating!
Only the lack of symptoms is proof that it's gone.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”