C Diff Recurrence? When to call doc?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Arin
New User

C Diff Recurrence? When to call doc?

Postby Arin » Sat May 05, 2018 3:34 pm

I’ve had C Diff twice, the last one was 6 months ago, went septic and I was in the ICU. Now I’m on a Levaquin-Amoxicillin regimen plus Vancomycin to get rid of an antibiotic resistant H Pylori infection. Ive avoided antibiotics like the plague but the H P has to be eradicated because it’s caused atrophic gastritis of my stomach.

Been on Levaquin/Amoxicillin for about 4 days. I’ve had about 15 episodes of diarrhea in the last 48 hours. Feeling weak, nausea, but not nearly as bad as the C Diff trip to the ICU last fall. At what point do you call the doctor under these circumstances? I thought maybe the antibiotics are just making me sick. They’re saying the next step is FMT.

Mindy
Regular User

Re: C Diff Recurrence? When to call doc?

Postby Mindy » Sat May 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I would do FMT. I'm not sure why it is looked at as last resort when it is over in one afternoon and saves your gut from having the good microbes killed off. Yes, recovery still can be slow, but it's that way with the other treatments as well. I have a very good friend who had an fmt 3 years ago, about the same time as me, and has been on antibiotics 8 times with no relapse. I'm not sure if that's typical, but she was on levequin while hospitalized in November and took Dificid with it and 10 days longer. No relaspe.

Arin
New User

Postby Arin » Sat May 05, 2018 4:24 pm

thank you Mindy! I am thinking FMT too... and it’s really encouraging that your friend had such a good experience. I just keep feeling like the more of these antibiotics I’m prescribed the worse it gets!

My Mayo doc said that I have to get it 3 x before they’ll do FMT. Whoever is making these rules has never had C Diff!

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 pm

I don't believe that's true legally to have fnt, probably just their protocol. I know I'll face an antibiotic some day, and I'm scared of that already. Best of luck.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:47 pm

I know this is one month old post but I really need to ask Arin how she is doing treating hpylory and cdiff. In the same situation after cdiff hpylory and starting treatment today. I'D Dr. Did not agree with mayo clinic regarding the choirs of antibiotics .
MY curent regime is metro claritomycin and pai.
Tx. Lidia

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”