Still having symptoms 3 weeks after Vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Babs62
Brand New Poster

Still having symptoms 3 weeks after Vanco

Postby Babs62 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:39 am

I need to know if it's normal to still have symptoms and test negative. I have now had two negative tests, one week apart. I am now one week past the last negative test and STILL having symptoms.... bathroom runs, accidents, cramping. Does it take a while for it to leave your system? (Backstory: tested positive in March. Went through a round of Flagyl. Three days later, the symptoms were back so I was put on Vancomycin. Had one week of no symptoms, then started up again. Got tested, came back negative. Another week of symptoms, went to ER, got tested, came back negative) I am SO tired of this....

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Still having symptoms 3 weeks after Vanco

Postby NanciT » Sun May 06, 2018 12:12 am

If you are tested shortly after being on Vanco it is possible you will test Negative. Most doctors do not test, they go by symptoms when treatment is completed. It sounds like you continue with symptoms, return to your GI or get a second GI opinion. Everyone has different symptoms but if D continues you need to be evaluated.
Many people can get Post IBS but if you have uncontrollable D, it needs to be checked.

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 am

I usually would not test positive after finishing vanco for about 3 weeks or so. I had symptoms too, and then the test would show it. However, those were the older type of EIA tests. As Nanci said, if symptoms continue, see a GI.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon May 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I realize that there are specific rules about how to tell if you are relapsing, but in my case I seldom had bowel issues prior to c-diff and I almost never felt debilitated and very ill.

So... after treatment with Flagyl ended, I got very weak and feeling very sickly, with diarrhea. I requested Vancomycin.
After treatment with Vancomycin ended I got very weak and feeling very sickly, with diarrhea. I immediately sought treatment and was put back on Vancomycin. After treatment with the second roung of Vancomycin ended I got very weak and feeling very sickly, with diarrhea. I immediately sought treatment and was given Dificid and tested for C-diff.

The C-diff test came back negative and I was told NOT to take the Dificid! I was weak, feeling very sickly and had diarrhea. That was not normal for me. I never had that before getting a C-diff infection. So, negative test or not, I took the 10 days of Dificid and I am so glad that I did. It was great stuff and I am C-diff and symptom free from Sept 12, 2017, after a 5 month struggle with C-diff.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”